Enabling roof operation whilst moving.

martinmac

Does anyone know if its possible to disable the need to put your foot on the brake to enable the roof mechanism operate in the roadster.

This is not as a permanent thing but a temporary change to allow the roof to be put down at very slow speed under controlled conditions.

Thanks. :)

depends on what controls the roof mechnism;

if has its own module and that just has a feed from the brake switch then you would just permanently ground or +ve that input.

if it has a module and that module takes the CAN network message for the pedal press then its not going to be simple to simulate the message and it probably isnt possible.

if it's controlled from say the BCM then you dont want to be messing with the brake pedal switch input to that module as it may be used for other purposes.

the first step is to find out what controls the roof and work from there, fingers crossed its just a couple of relays and its **** easy :)

ok, had a good look at the manual on my phone under the roof section. there is a separate roof control module, this module has outputs to the motors, inputs from various limit switches.

most importantly; it requires the brake to be pressed, the ign to be on, the car speed to be under 2mph, the battery voltage is above 10v

the speed signal is a pulse input which would need simulated, the brake signal also needs to be faked.

this is possible but needs a payback module for the roof to be made, I don't have a roadster to develop it on sadly.

I have to wonder if it would be worth the effort. My missus`s last car let you put the roof up/down if you were doing less than 10mph (or something like that). I think we only ever did that once in 2 years of driving it. With a roof which goes up / down so quickly you can do it whilst stationary at traffic lights or quickly pull over.

if it were a temporary system it would make it easier as it would only need to work on the day and not need to be a long life final product. still, it would involve a fair time on a roadster and a microcontroller to hand to program with the appropriate signal. its not a short term project tbh.

there is one really crude way of doing it though... power the motors manually via 12v, this could work if care was taken. you would need to get the right timing of powering them and also ensure they are turned off at the right time to prevent a prolonged stall of the motor. just have a switch box to activate them while the normal power feed to the motors is removed entirely. like i say, its crude and may end up looking like ass.