Manual polishing? Advice and tips needed

James B

After my recent post about the use of a machine polisher, particularly the Halfrauds one, some of you came back and recommended staying away from machine polishers altogether ebcause of the 'world famous' soft Nissan paint.

So assuming I went manual, are there any tips for how to go about polishing manual swirls out in terms of equiptment, product and technique?

(Tried searching but nothing jumped out at me) :thumbs:

I wouldnt be too afraid of the paint chap,its more the products you use for the correction. The whole theing about using a DA or a more aggressive Rotary,is that you start off with the least cutting compound,and see how you get on. Aslong as you are careful,you should be fine. If you were to apply say SRP,then you will have no worries what so ever with breakthrough. Its when you go down to say Fast cut,etc,that you have to be careful.Id never use that not Nissan paint! Iv got no experience of machine polishing,as im looking at getting one very soon,but iv done lots of background reading and research,and taken note of what people do,and the technique and compounds.

You can't get a DA hot enough to do any damage to the paint, so as long as you don't use sand as a cutting compound you'll be fine. :)

An average guy with a DA will remove more swirls than a pro with his hands. They really are that good, see my recent thread to prove that even a numpty can get some incredible results with one! :lol:

I've been using the Maguiars Polisher since November of last year.

G110_DAPolisher_OutofPack_detail.png

It is the most usefull product you will buy for your car. We had a forum seminar at Maguiars and were trained in the process for caring for our vehicles. Yes the paint is soft, although as long as you use the products and machinery correctly you won't damage anything!!!!

You will never get the swirls out manually!!

Trust me get one!

The Maguiars polisher is Dual Action thus won't burn the paint. It rotates and oscillates to avoid being in contact with any one part of the bodywork. I save about 70% of my time polishing the car using the DA. I also save probably a third of my products as the polisher will distribute the polish and wax with a more even coating. I also noticed my wax lasts longer on the car also. I'd say 3 or 4 times longer.

There's nothing to be worried about, although don't skimp on the polisher, it's an investment, so don't purchase a polisher unless it has the dual action feature to avoid burning the paint.

Why not search on Youtube of the Maguiars Polisher - there's a number of tutorials from Maguiars themselves! :thumbs:

You can't get a DA hot enough to do any damage to the paint, so as long as you don't use sand as a cutting compound you'll be fine. :)

An average guy with a DA will remove more swirls than a pro with his hands. They really are that good, see my recent thread to prove that even a numpty can get some incredible results with one! :lol:

Link would be helpful?! :bangin::lol:

I've been using the Maguiars Polisher since November of last year.

G110_DAPolisher_OutofPack_detail.png

It is the most usefull product you will buy for your car. We had a forum seminar at Maguiars and were trained in the process for caring for our vehicles. Yes the paint is soft, although as long as you use the products and machinery correctly you won't damage anything!!!!

You will never get the swirls out manually!!

Trust me get one!

The Maguiars polisher is Dual Action thus won't burn the paint. It rotates and oscillates to avoid being in contact with any one part of the bodywork. I save about 70% of my time polishing the car using the DA. I also save probably a third of my products as the polisher will distribute the polish and wax with a more even coating. I also noticed my wax lasts longer on the car also. I'd say 3 or 4 times longer.

There's nothing to be worried about, although don't skimp on the polisher, it's an investment, so don't purchase a polisher unless it has the dual action feature to avoid burning the paint.

Why not search on Youtube of the Maguiars Polisher - there's a number of tutorials from Maguiars themselves! :thumbs:

Nice one Wasso - great response, thanks! :thumbs:

If you are looking to remove swirls, you need a DA at the very least. You wont remove swirls by hand unless you are Popeye, the best you can do is hide them.

You really cant go wrong with a DA. As Daryl (and his helpful link) say, start with the lowest cut (read finishing pad and non abrasive polish) and work your way up. As you learn more, you will know instinctively which pad/polish to use to get rid of swirls of differing degrees. Main thing is to start with applying glazes or other LSPs such as Dodo Lime Prime which have no or a little bit of cut, then you cant do any damage. When you are happy with how to use the DA, you can then try proper polishes and working up through pad types (finish pad, light cut pad, polish pad if required). You are removing tiny amounts of paint at any given time, its rotarys ability to quickly eat paint that is scary, but this isnt a problem with DAs.

Get this stuff for swirl removal.

MegsUltCompound.jpg

It was tested at the Maguiars seminar, and I use it when removing swirls. Tip: Just don't apply too much pressure to the DA. Let the polisher do the work with a mild to medium amount of pressure.

If you are coming up to the Wales meet or something like that I'll be taking my polisher and can show you the ropes.