fuel economy

markyboy2505

hi people, i have jus had my car mot'd and every since i have had it back the car has been eating fuel like never b4. does any1 have any advice why this could be. understand fuel prices are going through the roof but it seems really extreme. i put £20 of petrol in and it barely come's out of the empty logo on the computer. any ideas please give me a shout. markyboy

hi people, i have jus had my car mot'd and every since i have had it back the car has been eating fuel like never b4. does any1 have any advice why this could be. understand fuel prices are going through the roof but it seems really extreme. i put £20 of petrol in and it barely come's out of the empty logo on the computer. any ideas please give me a shout. markyboy

Maybe because the price of petrol has gone up recently, £20 of fuel is not as much as it used to be :shrug:

I reckon £20 will get you about 60 miles so seems about right to me...

What MPG is it showing on the computer and how does that compare to before the MOT. An MOT should not change anything to do with the fueling. In the oldern days with carbs, some places used to adjust the fuel mixture if the car was failing on the emissions test. But these days that doesnt happen because of ECU`s etc...

As a guide, my 313 is currently doing about 25mpg on average over a tank full which is mainly cruising to work and back with the odd spirited bit of acceleration.

the car actually failed an ommission test when i got it mot'd as there was a tiny hole in the exhaust and the guy said he tried to do it 3 times. could they have changed the mixture?

I think your best bet is to go back and have a word with them and find out if they actually did anything.

The 5mpg would be because they had it sitting there idling, then revving it to do the emissions. If you reset the computer, then have a drive about you`ll see what normal mpg your getting.

the guy that mot'd my car has moved abroad so i'm basicly on my own on that 1. can u actually get it set up 2 use less fuel?

Yes, get it uprev'ed. Makes if more effiecient and is the only remap solution going. Tell the RST, A/M or Jez to map it for economy rather than performance. :thumbs:

Sounds to me like the mech that MOT'd it went and ragged it for a bit! I've only ever got mine down to 5MPG by taking it on track! And thats going some! If the tester ragged it around, then the fuel trim would have adjusted to use more fuel to get more power, however that should return to normal very quickly. They couldnt have changed the fuelling of the car unless its been UpRev'd or has an aftermarket ECU, so that wont be it. My guess is fuel trim which will adjust itself.

Try resetting the ECU, that will reset the fuel trims. Also get the exhaust fitted and it will make more power and be more economical ;)