ATS Tyres Vs Vaarstoens

Daryl

Well yesterday started so well. The man Vet stuck the car on pole,and i was getting my tyres put on the wheels,and the wheels on the car,finally,after nearly 3 weeks!

I spoke to someone there a couple of week ago,and asked if they would be able to do it,explained they were 19's,brand new,mint etc etc. They said yes,no problem. Checked again Friday,nothing had changed. So all excited,took the wheels and tyres down there (wheels still in the boxes) and left it with them for an hour,after explaining (again) to be careful.

Go back an hour later.......

333fa5d6.jpg

1b3afc1d.jpg

965b79bb.jpg

5c8623ba.jpg

1c6cce1a.jpg

04671889.jpg

e64cbfe3.jpg

d076a49a.jpg

cc512a6b.jpg

efec9152.jpg

And iv not pictured the worst chunk out the rear rim yet.

When i turned,i saw the marks and said i wasnt happy. To which the tyre balancer said 'them tyres are a bitach to get on,they were so tight,and that paint is really thin,we only leant it against that latter (metal legs and all) and it marked it' :scare::scare::scare::scare:

Needless to say i was mildly irritated,and when i went back to pick up the last 2,they have agreed to cover the costs of getting them repaired,though im sure he thinks its just the one he leant against the ladder,il be pushing to get all of them done.

Anyway,i was out there till 7.30 pm last night,fitting them (not advised in the dark,on the road) after a wash and a wax with CG wheel sealant. Must say they look the dogs,chunks missing and all. PIcs of the wheels on the car will follow today after a wash and a clean,hopefully.

Man, that is shocking :scare: Finding a tyre fitter or company to trust is a mare, there's a fair bit of repair to be done there. I hope for your sanity all is resolved quickly and without fuss, but the inconvenience of it is bad enough, never mind the damage :thumbdown:

A decent tyre place is worth its weight in gold, I hope you find one soon.

+1 - I've had a good share of shoddy places mark my wheels before, fortunately they were all right on the top of the lip so couldnt see it unless investigating it.

For anyone in/near Slough - ProTyre are very good - they are a Pirelli Performance Centre, which means they are trusted to work on the best cars. They repaired a puncture to my 370z wheel with no marks on at all, even cleaned off all the gunk they use to get the tyre on :thumbs:

Most of the wheels are marked on the inside of the outer lip,and as said,its not really visibly unless you look there. As for the chunks on the outer rims,well il see what its going to cost and how long its going to take. Realistically,if ATS pay up,il probably wait till the end of the year,and get them repaired then. The tyres on the Rays are gone,so got no choice really. Just hassle i dont need,i dont get alot of spare time as it is,so could really do without this.

The marks around the centrecap i managed to remove most of them with some SRP and abit of a buff,its just the 'kerbing' marks around edge that need sorting really. Its very frustrating,as it really spoilt the experience of fitting them,but its the way it goes i suppose. Its a steep learning curve! Hopefully wont be too expensive for me,just ATS. I reality,i think i could live with getting just 2 wheels done,as the other 2 have marks on the inside of the lip,and they are not really seen. I may go for wider rears next time too,as i didnt expect the 275's to look that stretched over the rears. Maybe see about 295's,but that wont be till next year hopefully.

I'd get all four powdercoated. You'll notice the difference.....

I dont think you can powder coat that colour. When i requested the colour Maarten at Varrstoen said that they would have to paint them,as they couldnt powder coat them. Maybe il look into it next year.

Ah well. Maybe thats the case.

I went to see my mate at his powdercoating business and he was speaking about how there were thousands (eight thousand rings a bell) of different black powders available! They can do a lot of colours but they only carry a small selection. I assume most coating companies are the same. :shrug:

I reckon the right powdercoater could possibly do something you were happy with colour wise.