Old or under gassed boot struts.

rothers2901

The aim is to ascertain what the max pressure is to both, lift the boot lid, without it falling down under it's own weight having fitted an after market spoiler.

I have had mine recently regassed to 500 Nm's which is ok for the lifting but is so strong that it is distorting the roof line when closed. The struts can not be de-gassed.

so the intention was to do some trials with differnt weights attached to the boot and increase the gas pressure as we go until the optinum pressure is found.

Just a handy tip here.......

I had mine regassed to 700N!

V2 spoiler on rear, refitted the the gas struts and uh oh, boot distorted!

After a few months of them on, cos although it was ruining the lines of my z, it was still functioning very well, and lifting my boot no problem, I did decide I would have to send them back to have them degassed....

Only to be told, they cant De-Gas...... :bang::bang:

Spoke to a Guy at the Engineering company, and he suggested i swap them over. left to right and right to left....you get the idea.

I had already taken them off though.....

So I noticed the struts had a L and R on them, so I fitted the L to the Passenger side, and R to the Drivers side, hoping this was an easy fix, and I simply didnt do it the first time...... wrong!

I shut the boot and the warp continued.... (When taken the struts off, the boot was perfectly alligned again)

So I swapped the struts over....

And quickly realised because of how the ball joints sit in the sockets, they cant be fitted the other way round..... :bang::bang:

So now Im really baffled......

Then I thought to myself, what if I change the brackets that sit on the body the other way round???

I originally had them following the line of the boot edge, as I thought thats the way they go... then realised when you flip them over, it goves you maybe an extra 10mm in the strut...

So I flipped them over, and to my joy, it was fixed!

So now I have perfect lines restored to my Z and a functioning boot! So pleased!

Thought I would post this, just in case someone else does it, as by the time you send off your struts and get them back again, its easy to forget which way the bracket went....

After a few months of them on, cos although it was ruining the lines of my z, it was still functioning very well, and lifting my boot no problem, I did decide I would have to send them back to have them degassed....

Spoke to a Guy at the Engineering company, and he suggested i swap them over. left to right and right to left....you get the idea.

So I noticed the struts had a L and R on them, so I fitted the L to the Passenger side, and R to the Drivers side, hoping this was an easy fix, and I simply didnt do it the first time...... wrong!

I shut the boot and the warp continued.... (When taken the struts off, the boot was perfectly alligned again)

And quickly realised because of how the ball joints sit in the sockets, they cant be fitted the other way round..... :bang::bang:

Then I thought to myself, what if I change the brackets that sit on the body the other way round???

I originally had them following the line of the boot edge, as I thought thats the way they go... then realised when you flip them over, it goves you maybe an extra 10mm in the strut...

So now I have perfect lines restored to my Z and a functioning boot! So pleased!

Thought I would post this, just in case someone else does it, as by the time you send off your struts and get them back again, its easy to forget which way the bracket went....

Wow! That's possibly the longest way of saying "try them the other way around"! :p

Wow! That's possibly the longest way of saying "try them the other way around"! :p

Ha ha yeah, I had to share my agony!

Struts fitted with the bracket upside down allowing the essential extra travel needed :yahoo: no more shut line problems. Great advise D4XNY, there's a :drunk: in the pump for you if we ever meet up :thumbs: