Not the most productive day! - service time

Sam Mcgoo

Well the sun was finally out today so I decided to give the Zed a service. :) Didn't quite go according to plan...... :wacko:

Problem 1 - getting the car in the air. I ended up having to make some wooden ramps to get the jacks under the car. Not really a surprise but still a pain in the arse.

So I removed the undertray, sump plug and filter and let it drain. I recently read that the oil feed nozzle in the Vortech Supercharger should be removed and cleaned at service time, so decided I'd do this while the oil drained.

Problem 2 - Went to remove the front wheel and arch liner to gain access to the nozzle and I can't find my Socket for the locking wheel nuts! Its not where I always keep it and I can't find it anywhere else. Arse!

So I manage to get my arms in between the arch and wheel and remove the arch liner. I could see a little oil around the area where the nozzle fits and running down the feed hose. The NPT fitting on the nozzle was quite loose so figured that that was the cause. I removed the nozzle striped it down and gave it a good clean. While re-assembling.........

Problem 3 - It seems the fitting was loose because the nozzle had cracked, and as I was screwing the fitting in (by hand) I could see the crack open up. :thumbdown: A quick Google and a phone call to Mark at Abbey confirms no-one stocks these in the UK so its gonna be a week or so before I can get one over from the States. :surrender:

I'm now wondering what to do. I decided if I blank off the oil feed hose I could then remove the SC drive belt and finish the oil change, I could at least run the car in the meantime (without boost) while I wait for the part to arrive.

Problem 4 - Go to fit the new filter and Nissan have given me the wrong one! :bangin: I'm not gonna waste £50 worth of oil by re-using the old filter so I'll have to go back to nissan but its too late......... so I give up.

So my poor zed is sitting out on the road on some dodgy wooden ramps without any oil in it belly and I've got to get up early to take the missus to work so I can borrow her car to do the running about.

:dummy: