Porsche 997 GT3 RS at the Ring.

captain

:scare: very forgiving car... a bit to stressed driving IMO, not full control with wrong gears in some corners sliding too (might be fun but don't think it was 'planned' :p) Love the sound of that car... and can't wait to throw the Z around there... very bumpy though and some weird bumps where you don't expect to find them!

Well found vid :thumbs:

That could've gone so very wrong at so many points. Why didn't the white car let him pass, as he was clearly quicker? Or if they were filming it for the footage, then he was miles too close to the white car just about all the way through. They were almost bullying the slower cars out of the way and sitting right up their backsides, which IMHO isn't on at those speeds, I don't care if they knew them or not.

I'm not saying that for the most part their driving wasn't impressive, and certainly they've got a great knowledge of the place, but for me that's not big or clever to drive in that way and not only shows very little respect for other drivers, but also very little respect for the track.

That could've gone so very wrong at so many points. Why didn't the white car let him pass, as he was clearly quicker? Or if they were filming it for the footage, then he was miles too close to the white car just about all the way through. They were almost bullying the slower cars out of the way and sitting right up their backsides, which IMHO isn't on at those speeds, I don't care if they knew them or not.

I'm not saying that for the most part their driving wasn't impressive, and certainly they've got a great knowledge of the place, but for me that's not big or clever to drive in that way and not only shows very little respect for other drivers, but also very little respect for the track.

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't dream of taking my zed on track there with idiot like that driving round... :surrender:

It's very scarey for first timers with zero track knowledge when quick guys blow past you doing nearly twice your speed. You try to keep to the right and indicate right when they come up behind you but sometimes you see them in your R/H mirror and your not sure if they dont give a sh*t about the normal conventions of 'ring use, and are gonna take you on that side (some do this), so sometimes you hesitate about moving over! :rant:.

I know its frustrating when a noob is holding you up but we all have to start somewhere. :blush:

I guess my well-earned reputation for irresponsible behaviour in all aspects of life must be true. Just watched it again and thought it was brilliant from start to finsih. :lol:

I can't imagine for one second being in either of the cars and behaving any differently.

I last went in a Subaru RB5 around 320 brake,got taken by two german girls in a seat Ibiza 1.4,not happy! :thumbdown: fair play to them for having the balls.

I dated a German girl (literally) once.

When I said I didn't want to see her a second time she sent me a card with a picture of a strangled cat. :scare:

TBH I think they've ALL German girls have balls. ;)

I guess my well-earned reputation for irresponsible behaviour in all aspects of life must be true. Just watched it again and thought it was brilliant from start to finsih. :lol:

I can't imagine for one second being in either of the cars and behaving any differently.

How can you say that? How on earth is it safe to be doing those speeds following someone that close? You'd rightly get bollocked for it on a motorway, so why does it suddenly become acceptable on a non-competitive track?

There are merrits to all sides of the arguments raise here but we have to put everything in perspective. It is the Ring were there is a code of conduct and though non-competive on a public day, has worked for donkey years were you will always have a mix of talent level and cars of varrying performance with little or no nannying as would be the case in Blighty.

-The "rules" are simple stay on the right if you are being overtaken or slow.

-Open your eyes and ears

-Make sure your car is roadworthy

-You have to pay to play

-You spoil anything track related and you will PAY.

-There are no speed limits though it is a public toll road on such days

-In case of an accident that is you fault, you will pay for all the resultant carnage.

-Your oil spill is your responsibility

-Expect to be overtaken by locals or regulars who are driving for BTG time or trying to impress to get a test drive/seat in various levels of motorsport in germany.

-if you die its your responsibility ;)

and it goes on and on..............

This format is well balanced and has worked for year as stated before with no more fatality than most other race tracks anywhere in the world, when you adjust for distance and popularity etc.

Secondly if your attitude is that you want to go and cruise around and be unhappy about being harrangued on the racing line or by faster cars then you should not be there or you should take the Ring sightseeing bus or ring taxi and let those who want to experience life and risk to carry on :teeth:

How can you say that? How on earth is it safe to be doing those speeds following someone that close? You'd rightly get bollocked for it on a motorway, so why does it suddenly become acceptable on a non-competitive track?

Wasn't really looking for an argument Dan. Who said it was safe or acceptable? Not me. Like I said, I'm completely irresponsible. :)

You know more about cars and tracks than me and I read your posts with great interest and I've learnt a lot from you.

Maybe I'll see you at Castle Combe one day and you can show me how to improve my 1:27. :thumbs:

Wasn't really looking for an argument Dan. Who said it was safe or acceptable? Not me. Like I said, I'm completely irresponsible. :)

You know more about cars and tracks than me and I read your posts with great interest and I've learnt a lot from you.

Maybe I'll see you at Castle Combe one day and you can show me how to improve my 1:27. :thumbs:

Sorry mate, I wasn't really after an argument either, my post did come across a bit harsh :blush:

I'm more genuinely intrigued as to how anyone could find that in anyway safe. I'm all for ragging your car hard and fast on track, and god knows I've pushed my limits a few times, but I would never ever consider driving that close to anyone at that speed. One slight mistake from either of you and you're looking at a hugely expensive repair bill at the least.

I really want to drive Combe, just need to get the bloody race-prep MR2 up and running now really :blush:

Sorry mate, I wasn't really after an argument either, my post did come across a bit harsh :blush:

I'm more genuinely intrigued as to how anyone could find that in anyway safe. I'm all for ragging your car hard and fast on track, and god knows I've pushed my limits a few times, but I would never ever consider driving that close to anyone at that speed. One slight mistake from either of you and you're looking at a hugely expensive repair bill at the least.

I really want to drive Combe, just need to get the bloody race-prep MR2 up and running now really :blush:

No probs. You're probably right. :thumbs:

And there was I looking on Pistonheads for a MR2 or 3 series or MX-5 track car to race all season.

What needs doing to yours to get it working?