Under the glove box secret compartment?

neo-ninja

Howdy all,

As some of you may have seen I am working on a carpc install as a bit of fun, and also to keep me occupied with an interesting project.

So far i have the complete system speced out and ready to buy, aswell as the screen and cubby etc...

The last part i am trying to work out before i start installing etc, is how i get power from the battery to the rear glove box (i know how to get it from the actual battery all the way to basically the back of the door passanger side door. But then taking it from there up to the glove box seems like a challenge no one can remember how they did. (about 1.5 feet)

So today i decided to have an explore, and noticed that in the secret compartment there are a couple of notches so you can take that panel out (the actual secret compartment plastic panel in the glove box) As i did so i noticed there was sound proofing under it but also a black box with wires attached to the bottom of it.

What is this? Does anyone know? As far as i can tell some people have said its a airbag sensor so dont even go near it. but i have found no one who can confirm that.

The good news about it is there are wires going from it towards the door, so hopefully this means i can get wires up into this area, drill a hole in the plastic and get the power to the pc. But the bad news will be if someone says dont mess!

So anyone know?

Thanks in advance! Of course i will do a complete set of guides when im done :)

Ah ok, interesting! But whats odd is that there is some sort of black box device with a shed load of cables going to it.

Then as soon as i looked around online there were mentions of airbag sensors, and so i carefully put it back and stayed clear! But as i said have no idea if this is true!

If you do a search you should find posts that I've made before WRT running power to the rear glovebox (the one behind the passenger seat).

Basically:

1. Remove trip around battery. This will reveal a big grommet to poke the cable through. Make a hole in it and poke cable through

2. Collect cable from passenger footwell. Remove the lower kick panel (footwell) and lower door trim. Pull up carpet, this will reveal some trunking to run cable down.

3. Pull back trim around seatbelt from floor, this will give you acces to poke cable from trunking to rear glove box (where the magic box is)

4. Find suitable screw to earth to. You now have power ;)

No idea what the box is, but it can be disconnected and reconnected without effecting anything. Dont think its airbag related, think its to do with the blutooth, but not the one Mike has posted up there.

Does that help? :shrug:

EDIT: with piccies - http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/rear_speakers/

Hi Chris,

See the power link before, ideally i dont want to remove too much panel work but if i can get power under the carpet that is ace!

How did you run your audio cables from the stereo back there? Down the center tunnel and at the back of it then where to, under the carpet again?

Yup, power down the passenger side, and audio/VGA/power to montor/etc all down the centre console. I think that site I linked has more guides for doing that too. Honestly, pop the panels, it makes it all so much easier. You can run all the cables at once and make them nice and tidy. The bit to feed it from the centre armrest to the rear cubby is tight and much easier to do with the panels off.

Its really easy to run the power down the passenger side, I'd recommend it over trying to get it to the centre console and running it down the middle :thumbs:

If you remove the armrest section, beneath the rear arm cubbyhole/Bluetooth unit you'll find the airbag sensor. You can't miss it as it has BIG RED warning stickers on it.

Ah thats a bit scary as i was planning on removing the whole center tunnel section to get the audio cable down it. How fragile is it?

Ha ha that's the little devil. Don't worry it works on I guess something like shock signals, so as long as you don't jump on it or smash a hammer on it, it should be fine. I doubt it would be active with the ignition off anyway?

It's safe to touch it won't bite

Yup, power down the passenger side, and audio/VGA/power to montor/etc all down the centre console. I think that site I linked has more guides for doing that too. Honestly, pop the panels, it makes it all so much easier. You can run all the cables at once and make them nice and tidy. The bit to feed it from the centre armrest to the rear cubby is tight and much easier to do with the panels off.

Its really easy to run the power down the passenger side, I'd recommend it over trying to get it to the centre console and running it down the middle :thumbs:

I will pop a couple of them but i shouldnt need to go crazy like in that pic i dont think. Im just nervous about breaking the pins they are on and having rattly or cracked pannels....