Damage to "outer skin" of Catalytic Converter

NeilMH

My RH Catalytic Converter has some damage to what appears to be an outer skin. What I would guess is that at some time something has kicked up and created a small hole but this has then corroded to create a hole about 1-2 inches but irregular shape. Looking through the hole the actual unit with the converter in it still seems to be in tact.

I searched but couldn't find anything. How big a deal is this (presumably its just that I am slightly more risk of the actual body of the converter getting damaged)? The outer skin seems like pretty thin mild steel (to put it kindly). Would it take a welded plate or similar type of repair?

Any advice appreciated, thank you.

My RH Catalytic Converter has some damage to what appears to be an outer skin. What I would guess is that at some time something has kicked up and created a small hole but this has then corroded to create a hole about 1-2 inches but irregular shape. Looking through the hole the actual unit with the converter in it still seems to be in tact.

I searched but couldn't find anything. How big a deal is this (presumably its just that I am slightly more risk of the actual body of the converter getting damaged)? The outer skin seems like pretty thin mild steel (to put it kindly). Would it take a welded plate or similar type of repair?

Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Nothing really to worry about, they will take a light weld, however may be best to just replace it with a low mileage preowned one of which I have plenty in stock.

I personally would just run with it as it will still be working okay and what you see is purely cosmetic although it will not be pretty.

Just :pmzmanalex: if you decide to replace it and I will get you sorted. :thumbs:

Many thanks Alex. That's very helpful. I think I will hang on and wait for one of the other bits of the exhaust to pack up (e.g. the joints or middle box) and then sort out everything in one go. I will PM you at that time.

My main thing was just to check there was no other related issue I was missing. Question answered - great.