MOT - Backbox joint

neo-ninja

Hi All,

Just had the car in MOT, and I did think recently it was making a slight rattle when pulling away in low gears. But service is due soon so didnt think about it.

However garage doing MOT have called and said that the join where the pipe joints the back box is nackered. he has said they can wield will prob be an hours work he recons to do, but he says he has no idea how long it will last, if its only going to be 6 months, or 2 years.

or he said he can price up new one.

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice, and recomendations ideally asap.

Thanks

Definitely, mine had the same problem and lasted at least 6 months, in some ways you could argue that the weld may even be stronger than the original metalwork. :thumbs: I'd get it done, get through the MOT and then decide if you actually want a new exhaust, there's loads of info on here from loads of members for all sorts of cost options :)

Ah ok cool, you recon getting wielded is worth doing at least for a decent amount of time.

mine cost me £20 to have welded, lasted about a year, then had the joint cut out and a new stainless steel sleeve put on for about £50, good as new now even tho looking from the rear the back box isn't level :blush:

mine cost me £20 to have welded, lasted about a year, then had the joint cut out and a new stainless steel sleeve put on for about £50, good as new now even tho looking from the rear the back box isn't level :blush:

Ah im really picky so the back box not being level would annoy me! doh!

But brilliant suggestion. They have quoted me about £50 to do it but which isnt too bad i didnt think. "wielding"

How much should i be looking to pay for a backbox? If i want an OEM one.

Nissan will charge you in the region of a £1,000,000 for a new one. Elsewhere prices vary upto around £300 (I think) - money which could be better spent on a lighter, shinier, better sounding upgrade!!

I had my OEM backbox welded at around 50K and it lasted until 75K.

:)

How much should i be looking to pay for a backbox? If i want an OEM one.

Nissan will charge you in the region of a £1,000,000 for a new one. Elsewhere prices vary upto around £300 (I think) - money which could be better spent on a lighter, shinier, better sounding upgrade!!

I had my OEM backbox welded at around 50K and it lasted until 75K.

:)

Im on around 46k so hopefully it lasts that long as i do around 6-8k miles a year.

What is wierd now i have got it back is how much quieter but more refined the sound it! It must have gradually gone over time then suddenly gone as i dont really remember thinking "wow this is really noisy compared to yesterday" (I drive the car daily)

But it definatly sounded a heck of a lot noiser but not in a gone exhaust way more of a meatier muscle car way. But now it sounds much more refined so not bothered eitherway.

Thanks for the advice everyone!