Before I get this done do you think it would work?

im00

Hi chaps

Ive just rang a Nissan dealer re getting a bona-fide nissan Sat Nav installed (Bird View is it?) and was quoted £1,900.00... :scare:...yep...£1900.00... :wacko:...to have one fitted!

Having trawled through here I found an old(ish) thread where a chap had adapted an ordinary stick-to-the-windscreen Sat Nav and fitted it into the centre cubby and wondered if it would actually, in the real world environment, work and work well???

I rang Road-Radio who said they wouldn't fit it into the cubby as it wouldn't get any reception (or at best get patchy reception). They said that they'd hide a new cigarette socket somewhere and run the Sat Nav's power lead from this up to the dash and that it would poke out somewhere near the windscreen. Effectively this would hide the wires and leave a short stub sticking up on the dash that I could connect up to. It would certainly be neater than the wires-everywhere I currently suffer but not quite as sexy as the pictures below.

I've PM'ed the guy who did this to ask if it works but to date no reply.

So - will the pictures below actually work or are Road Radio correct? - whats the considered opinion of you chaps on here???

332uhb6.jpg

bhx1l1.jpg

2bbedc.jpg

Tbh i could write a how to on wiring it up to the cubby, its two wires so not rocket science.

As long as the Nav is a reletively new model it will be fine for reception in the cubby. apart from the trip gauges there is nothing to interfere with the signal and the newer GPS antennas are quite powerful.

RTbiscuits install

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33501&hilit=nav+cubby

I had a TomTom One XL in mine and it was a perfect fit with perfect reception all the time. I ran the power cable inside the centre console and down to the power outlet by the passenger's RH knee. Much better than being stuck with an in-built unit IMHO, meant I could simply lift it out and plug it into the PC to upload stuff and sort out ITN files. :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies so far chaps.

Unfortunately the 'Nurish' idea, whilst undoubtedly a good deal, is a no-go for me as my daughter bought me a TomTom XXL as a present to go with my newly purchased 350z and I don't have the heart to ask her to return it to the shop so the solution must involve this bit of kit. The only decision is to mount in the cubby or have a short stub of wire showing.

Will the cubby lid not interfere with the signal then? Perhaps not. I suppose this will mean drilling a hole in the back of the cubby for the wires.

pm husky and get him to do you a guide on how to put in a new cigarette lighter behind the dash. then just plug in the cables and drill a hole in the back of the cubby to run them through and mount it up job done.

dont worry about reception it will work fine, i used to have the antenna for the sat nav on my stereo under the dash about where the sat nav is and it worked fine no problem what so ever. :thumbs:

There are two small rectangular holes under the matt at the back the cubby hole.

Get some thin wire, something like bell wire about 2 foot long,feed this from the cubby to the passenger footwell.

Tape the sat nav end of the power cable to this fish wire and pull into cubby.

Then it's your choice wether to cut and tap into the ciggy lighter wires at the back of the dash or just use the lighter plug from the satnav in the socket.

I did the latter.

If you look close you can see a Navigon wide screen in the cubby.

Wire passed through the trim and then pluged in the ciggy lighter.

It works perfectly.

P4060011Medium.jpg

whos car is this? :) I want to do that to my strut brace cover!!! :thumbs::thumbs:

er.........the guy who posted it? ChrisS

Thanks again for all your replies chaps!

I did the bleedin' obvious last night and stuck the TomTom in the cubby and drove around for a bit. No problem - got the full signal all the time. Great.

I still can't believe how well the TomTom XXL & XL fit into that compartment - its like it was tailor made for them. And a simple pull-out to update the maps when required.

Top tip guys - this is the way to go if you want a Sat Nav installed in your car. You can even reclaim the cubby at a moments notice for storage.

Anyway I rang Road Radio back to see if they'd just run the (hidden) lead power for me - which they'll do for about £35 by installing another cigarette lighter socket behind the dash. Its £35 unless they have to remove the standard factory fitted Nissan 6CD player to get at the wiring behind the dash. The bloke seems to think that the below the cubby is blanked off so he might have to remove the cd player...in which case the price is £50 all-in.

I'll post a picture when its done.

Cheers

:thumbs:

They are talking crap again. Its dead easy and you dont have to remove the CD player as when you remove the cubby trim it will all come away, hinging from the bottom. You can quite literally drop a wire down the back to the passenger footwell where you can tap into the ciggy lighter. Do not accept them saying its a £50 job, it is far easier than any other car I have worked with. Take the service manual (download around here somewhere) so they can see how it comes apart :thumbs:

Also reception for GPS is fine as behind the cubby is where Nissan install the OEM reciever for the SatNav ;)