Sneek Peek

rtbiscuit

Some of you maybe aware that i'm in the process of starting my own business; well today i had my first goes and testing and it was so much fun i really wanted to share it with you guys.

this was my test subject; just an ABS speed shape pre painted in BMW Sapphire black

6.jpg

This is one of the films i was testing; its one of the 2 carbon fibre films (my 2nd favourite)

7.jpg

this was the first ever one i've done so it was far from perfect, i'm in the process of fine tuning everything to get it to work right everytime. we had a few issues and some things i need to look into as it didn't go as i planned first time.

4.jpg

5.jpg

2nd test went alot better, we used the other film (my favourite) and it has kind of gone to lan but there are a few things i need to improve and fiddle to make sure i get the perfect finish every time.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

they are fresh out of the water and so still need clear coating.

have some research to do before the next test but its definetly coming on.

Don't mean to sound dumb but what is it for?

i take this process and i can apply it to pretty much any solid material like metal plastic or wood. so in terms of how this would benefit you; instead of using a speed shape i could do zed car interior or exterior parts. ;)

Ah I get it! Cool beanz I'm pretty slow. I love carbon fibre , so much I bough a carbon fibre crash helmet for the track :lol:

i've got some steering wheel controls; b pillars and arm rests off the doors all of which will be finished in that 2nd film. and i've worked out how to put the text back on to the pre facelift steering controls.

other easy possibilites are the rear strut bar, door handles, door sills, front and rear zed badges etc.

with some sanding will also do centre console, plastics behind the driver etc, engine covers. engine battery and brake fluid covers (with some sanding and filling)

other plans are for the mounts that hold the door mirrors, the mirror shells themselves,

the main advantage is it has no joins, and adds only the thickness of spray paint to it.

spot on; Hydrographic printing

that is exactly the same technique, i'm just playing around on a smaller scale while i perfect it and work out best how to use the films and chemicals etc.

i have a giant bath ready for large items, but instead of wasting the water i'm using small tubs to practice in.

So how durable is that process - thinking of the clip of the wheels and anyone know what that would cost per wheel?

its a durable as the paint on your car. it uses automotive primers and base coats then the film is applied and then the process is finished off with an automotive clear coat.

i'm also using infa red heaters to dry and bake the paint.

so if you did it to the wheels it would be identical to a wet painted wheel done by somewhere else.

i suppose its possible you could have them powdercoated somewhere else then hydrographically printed and then clear coated for an even tougher finish. never tried it ontop of a powder coat finish but in theory i cant see why it wouldn't work

Hey Rich, I'm very impressed, all power to you buddy, anyone who has the balls to give something like this a go from scratch deserves some success. Hope it all goes well for you buddy :thumbs::thumbs: The black wing mirror mount is a particular pet hate of mine ;)

once i have perfected it and i'm confident that what i'm offering will be of a quality finish everytime then i shall open up trade on here. i've spoken to the mods and they are happy for this. i'll then pay trading rights and be signed up properly.

but for now i'll do the odd update etc so you all know whats happening.

there are several areas on the zed that i felt could be improved and it was something no one else was doing or could cater for; so i hope that this will be a benefit to the club.

if the mods don't mind i'll post a link to the website i've been building; if people wanted to have a look at what else i've been working on.

www.rtcustomz.com