TYRE PROFILE CHANGE

oibarthez

Hi,

I need some new tyres and am considering some Falken FK 452s.

My Bridgestones are nearly goosed and are 225/45 18 front and 245/45 18 rears.

Theres a good deal on same sizes but 40 series instead of 45.

Has anyone tried this? The car will obviously sit a wee bit lower but will it improve the handling or upset the ride?

Cheers, Barthez.

A) dont put the wrong profile tyres on, just dont even go there, there are pages and pages of why not to if you really want to know look them up

B ) dont scrimp on tyres!

C) shop online at mytyres, camskill or alike

D) MOST IMPORTANT, please please please do not use places like kwikfit, i just recently went to look at the damage they did to a range rover underneath when they put their ramp straight through its air compressors and reservoir instead of a jacking point. bad times. £k's damage

simply put, yes it does matter. the car was designed to run with a certain tyre circumference. going outside of this is just pointless unless you have very specific requirements and know what your doing.

but

the TC may not flare up as much if all tyres circumference is altered by the same percentage. bear in mind the profile is not a measurement but a percentage of the width.

for the sake of a few quid just do it right

simply put, yes it does matter. the car was designed to run with a certain tyre circumference. going outside of this is just pointless unless you have very specific requirements and know what your doing.

but

the TC may not flare up as much if all tyres circumference is altered by the same percentage. bear in mind the profile is not a measurement but a percentage of the width.

Im not condoning this im just curious to know how it works, is the traction control flared up by incorrect sizes or incorrect sizes front and back?

I reckon that the TC would be ok with 40 profile all round however I wouldn't be doing it. I'd rather buy quality part worns than change the size or fit ditch finders to save a few quid.

The arch gap would look awful with 40 profile rubber too!

but

Im not condoning this im just curious to know how it works, is the traction control flared up by incorrect sizes or incorrect sizes front and back?

:)

yeah i reckon it is front to back on a pre06 car. mine are a bit out due to available sizes in the width i wanted, not as much as suggested here but i made sure they are the same amount out front to back, never had any TC problems.

but

:)

yeah i reckon it is front to back on a pre06 car. mine are a bit out due to available sizes in the width i wanted, not as much as suggested here but i made sure they are the same amount out front to back, never had any TC problems.

Ah ok :thumbs: I think i read it has about a 4% tollerance before it gets confusued.