Just test driven a 350Z- thoughts & few questions

Just had a look at a 55 plate Z with 80k on the clock.

Looks- very very nice in blue- 8/10. The back doesn't look quite right IMO, and the door handles are an acquired taste

Handling- steering feel acceptable and she was happy and balanced in corners. In fact, i wasn't *that* aware of her mass & inertia through corners- she certainly handles like a lighter car. However- i would imagine a chicane type road where the car would be required to change direction quickly would show up her mass more more sifnificantly. 9/10 for the road. The mass would let it down on track, so 6.5/10. Most of this cars life is on the road though, so im averaging it as an 8/10.

Clutch- the clutch was wonderfully light. Is this a good or a bad sign? I have read that they are heavy sometimes? 9.5/10

Gearbox- i wasn't a massive fan of it- it was shortish shift, but very notchy and a bit fiddly. When slowing down it was tricky to change down quickly & smoothly. Perhaps i just needed some time in the car to get used to it, but its not as nice as say an M3 where you can just grab a gear and go. 7/10

Engine- sounded AMAZING. Absolutely lovely. It picked up the pace nicely too. Whilst it sounded VERY fast, the weight and insulating nature of the car toned down its speed- so the two cancelled eachother out- it feels as fast as it is. Its not a M5 which feels like its doing 50 when your doing 100, its not an MX5 which feels like its doing 70 when your doing 50. Engine 8/10- an extra 30 BHP would be ideal but not a requirement by any means.

In total- 8.1/10- not bad at all!! :):)

A few questions

Gearbox- is my description typical? Or are most a little less notchy?

Steering- im SURE this problem is down to the car- hence i didn't mention it above. In 40-50 MPH tightish corners, on a poor quality road, the steering wheel shook & vibrated significantly!! If anyone has driven a car with a highly imbalanced wheel at 80MPH- it felt like that! Doesn't look good :S

What are ppls experience of these cars on track?? Do they hide their mass well???

Oil- on parking i could smell burnt oil- i poked around under the bonnet and could see a little- must have leaked and been burnt by the heat of the engine :wacko:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Just had a look at a 55 plate Z with 80k on the clock.

Looks- very very nice in blue- 8/10. The back doesn't look quite right IMO, and the door handles are an acquired taste IMO the rear end is the best angle :lol:

Handling- steering feel acceptable and she was happy and balanced in corners. In fact, i wasn't *that* aware of her mass & inertia through corners- she certainly handles like a lighter car. However- i would imagine a chicane type road where the car would be required to change direction quickly would show up her mass more more sifnificantly. 9/10 for the road. Never had any issues myself on track and I'm running completley standard set up suspension wiseThe mass would let it down on track, so 6.5/10. Most of this cars life is on the road though, so im averaging it as an 8/10.

Clutch- the clutch was wonderfully light. Is this a good or a bad sign? I have read that they are heavy sometimes? 9.5/10 maybe has uprated clutch and lightened flywheel?

Gearbox- i wasn't a massive fan of it- it was shortish shift, but very notchy and a bit fiddly. When slowing down it was tricky to change down quickly & smoothly. Perhaps i just needed some time in the car to get used to it, but its not as nice as say an M3 where you can just grab a gear and go. 7/10 Its a drivers car - notchy is normal ...maybe you should go for the M3 then?

Engine- sounded AMAZING. Absolutely lovely. It picked up the pace nicely too. Whilst it sounded VERY fast, the weight and insulating nature of the car toned down its speed- so the two cancelled eachother out- it feels as fast as it is. Its not a M5 no sh*t sherlockwhich feels like its doing 50 when your doing 100, its not an MX5 which feels like its doing 70 when your doing 50 and blow dries your hair for you at the same time. Engine 8/10- an extra 30 BHP would be ideal but not a requirement by any means.

In total- 8.1/10- not bad at all!! :):)

A few questions

Gearbox- is my description typical? Or are most a little less notchy? perfectly normal

Steering- im SURE this problem is down to the car- hence i didn't mention it above. In 40-50 MPH tightish corners, on a poor quality road, the steering wheel shook & vibrated significantly!! If anyone has driven a car with a highly imbalanced wheel at 80MPH- it felt like that! Doesn't look good :S just needs a geo check and if its done 80k check the banana bars and drop links

What are ppls experience of these cars on track?? Do they hide their mass well??? YES - you will chicken out of a corner before the car does

Oil- on parking i could smell burnt oil- i poked around under the bonnet and could see a little- must have leaked and been burnt by the heat of the engine :wacko:

Try a coupe as well - you will notice a difference in the handling...

Hi & :welcome: to the forum. Gearbox is notchy but you would soon get used to it. Clutch may have been changed and a lightweight flywheel put in as the clutch is usually a tad heavy (has to cope with 300 ponies). Don't like the sound of the vibration in the corners, would definitely need checking out. Was the road surface ok?

Yeah, the gearbox takes a bit of getting used to. From my experience and from what I've read here, first to second is very notchy and clunky, especially from cold. The rest I find O.K, but not great. As far as the burning oil goes, what sort of smell was it? Gear oil has a completely different smell to engine oil when it burns.

Welcome BTW :) .

Pete

Never had any issues myself on track and I'm running completley standard set up suspension wise

An "issue" is a very gross symptom......the mass of any car lets it down in braking and corners- do you find that your aware of the inertia in chicane type corners?

maybe has uprated clutch and lightened flywheel?

Its certainly looking that way.... :)

Its a drivers car - notchy is normal ...maybe you should go for the M3 then?

Whats the fact that its a "drivers" car got to do with it? :S Depends on the definition of "notchy" is i suppose. A positive pleasant notchy `box is a great thing. But the one in this Z felt a bit cheap, and it was a bit awkward to select a gear. Not what i would call a "drivers" gearbox. Maybe this improves with practice & the `box oil really heating up........

Engine- sounded AMAZING. Absolutely lovely. It picked up the pace nicely too. Whilst it sounded VERY fast, the weight and insulating nature of the car toned down its speed- so the two cancelled eachother out- it feels as fast as it is. Its not a M5 no sh*t sherlockwhich feels like its doing 50 when your doing 100, its not an MX5 which feels like its doing 70 when your doing 50 and blow dries your hair for you at the same time. Engine 8/10- an extra 30 BHP would be ideal but not a requirement by any means.
:bang:

Notchy box is perfectly normal
Pity :(

just needs a geo check and if its done 80k check the banana bars and drop links
Indeed some suspension TLC is def in order

YES - you will chicken out of a corner before the car does
i very much doubt that. But i cant deny i would love to feel what they are like on track....

Try a coupe as well - you will notice a difference in the handling...

This was a coupe :)

Hi & :welcome: to the forum. Gearbox is notchy but you would soon get used to it. Clutch may have been changed and a lightweight flywheel put in as the clutch is usually a tad heavy (has to cope with 300 ponies). Don't like the sound of the vibration in the corners, would definitely need checking out. Was the road surface ok?

I loved the lightness of the wheel- so im guessing it may well have had it lightened! Maybe i will try to drive another one to compare.

Yeah, the gearbox takes a bit of getting used to. From my experience and from what I've read here, first to second is very notchy and clunky, especially from cold. The rest I find O.K, but not great. As far as the burning oil goes, what sort of smell was it? Gear oil has a completely different smell to engine oil when it burns.

Welcome BTW :) .

Pete

TBH im not mechanical enough to be able to tell the difference- i could see a bit of oil- to the RHS of the engine- so im guessing engine oil.

Welcome.

Yep it's nothing like a BM, 350s have soul. :D

That sounds like something a classic car owner, or perhaps a Alfa Romeo driver would say. :D

(Whilst they were broken down by the side of the road)

need to try a few, so many of them are treated like crap and left to the maintanence of Nissan (bad idea)

the gear box is a week area, but if you find a well maintained one they are good. especially once they get som e heat into them. the gear box is at its best once the car is fully warmed up.

juddering in the steering sounds more like a wheel balance issue. and irregualr pressure.

need to try a few, so many of them are treated like crap and left to the maintanence of Nissan (bad idea)

the gear box is a week area, but if you find a well maintained one they are good. especially once they get som e heat into them. the gear box is at its best once the car is fully warmed up.

juddering in the steering sounds more like a wheel balance issue. and irregualr pressure.

yeah will def drive a few more. the car was fairly warm- but perhaps another 20 mins working the box on a twisty road would have warmed it up a bit more.

Pressures were checked before- he used 30 all round, even though the guide suggested 35 was right...

I think your best bet is to get out an drive a couple more zeds - see if this 'box you experienced was just a bit cold and notchy or was it on the way out. :thumbs: If you were out for twenty minutes or more and it was still 'notchy' then its probably the latter. If it was less than that I really don't think you can make the call :shrug: and defo get the tyres up to 35!

Also decide if you want a track car or something you can enjoy thoroughly on the open road and with a modicum of tweaking also enjoy just as much on track. As far as 'inertia' goes...well obviously the zed is no Elise through the twisties...but IMHO you'll have just as much fun finding it's limits :teeth:

Though am still not clear why you would attempt to make comparisons with an M3, an M5 and an MX-5 :wacko:

the zed is a heavy car, and the more you push it the more it will become apparent. it is in its essence a GT cruise and not an out and out sports car. it will eat the miles on a long drive with ease; have loads of trque for overtaking without needing to drop a cog.

if you want to run the zed on the track you'll need to upgrade the discs and padsstiffen up the suspension; tighten the chassis slightly.

and if your into modding and expect to get big gains from tuning and mods; again the zed will disappoint, filters, exhausts etc will have very little impact. unless you go FI then you need deep pockets.

the Zed is very capable but find the right example; plenty to choose from so very much a buyers market and not a sellers market.

Gearbox- i wasn't a massive fan of it- it was shortish shift, but very notchy and a bit fiddly. When slowing down it was tricky to change down quickly & smoothly. Perhaps i just needed some time in the car to get used to it, but its not as nice as say an M3 where you can just grab a gear and go. 7/10

An M3 which you can just grab a gear and go? Wish my previous M3 was like that.

The gear changes in the M3 were downright lousy, especially when cold. Stupid clutch delay valve made things 10x worse.

One other question, do you downblip? The clutch delay valve in the M3 would help make it seem smoother when downshifting, merely because the clutch isn't engaging. Makes it rock like a bucking horse when you're driving slow round town though.

I think your best bet is to get out an drive a couple more zeds - see if this 'box you experienced was just a bit cold and notchy or was it on the way out. :thumbs: If you were out for twenty minutes or more and it was still 'notchy' then its probably the latter. If it was less than that I really don't think you can make the call :shrug: and defo get the tyres up to 35!

Also decide if you want a track car or something you can enjoy thoroughly on the open road and with a modicum of tweaking also enjoy just as much on track. As far as 'inertia' goes...well obviously the zed is no Elise through the twisties...but IMHO you'll have just as much fun finding it's limits :teeth:

Though am still not clear why you would attempt to make comparisons with an M3, an M5 and an MX-5 :wacko:

i drove it for more like 10-15 mins so clearly my assessment of the `box isnt fair :)

Im not comparing it to an M5 and an MX5. I only pointed out that it neither insultated the driver from the speeds your doing (like the M5), nor exaggerated the speeds (like an MX5). I didn't compare it to an M3 either- only gave Nissan a gearbox which they should have put in the Z!!

the zed is a heavy car, and the more you push it the more it will become apparent. it is in its essence a GT cruise and not an out and out sports car. it will eat the miles on a long drive with ease; have loads of trque for overtaking without needing to drop a cog.

if you want to run the zed on the track you'll need to upgrade the discs and padsstiffen up the suspension; tighten the chassis slightly.

the Zed is very capable but find the right example; plenty to choose from so very much a buyers market and not a sellers market.

All good points my man. I will track her a little i expect- are brake upgrades for mild track use?

An M3 which you can just grab a gear and go? Wish my previous M3 was like that.

The gear changes in the M3 were downright lousy, especially when cold. Stupid clutch delay valve made things 10x worse.

One other question, do you downblip? The clutch delay valve in the M3 would help make it seem smoother when downshifting, merely because the clutch isn't engaging. Makes it rock like a bucking horse when you're driving slow round town though.

Yes i blip on downchange/heal & toe- do it in most cars tbh

i drove it for more like 10-15 mins so clearly my assessment of the `box isnt fair :)

Im not comparing it to an M5 and an MX5. I only pointed out that it neither insultated the driver from the speeds your doing (like the M5), nor exaggerated the speeds (like an MX5). I didn't compare it to an M3 either- only gave Nissan a gearbox which they should have put in the Z!!

Yes i blip on downchange/heal & toe- do it in most cars tbh

The M3 really doesn't have a gearbox I'd want in any car tbh.

It was absolutely horrid when cold and it certainly took a very firm shift, otherwise you got penalised for it every time. That, tied with the annoying clutch delay valve made it about as un driver friendly as I've had so far tbh. You just couldn't perform a smooth change no matter how hard you tried. Pull away too hard and all you'll do is smoke the clutch.

Now, a ferrari 355 open gate box, or the dsg box in the gallardo, those are slicker changes than hell.

for mild track use it depends on the driver really.

some use stock setup and are fine; others have used EBC stuff and it has warped, others have used very expensive stuff and its warped, dpends alot on your driving style. the weight of the car will really show the brakes up as the weak spot when your pushing hard. and the weight will put more heat into them.

for mild track use and a normal driver something like the ds2500 discs and some decent pads will see you well. if you want to spend a bit more money then the DBA or dixon brake setup are meant to be sublime.

trackwise the zeds chassis is exellent, the weight obviously doesnt help it but the balance is good, chassis is let down slightly by the standard suspension mind but there are lots of things to sort that out depending on how much money you have and how far you want to push it... in standard form the tyres and suspension would let the car down way before the chassis and car inertia would push it out.

first two mods major mods i did was suspension and brakes, makes a massive difference :)