Any oil rig workers out there?

Woody

Hi all. As per title really. Im quite interested in moving in to this line of work, but unsure what the job is like on a day to day basis. My background.... Im a multi-skilled engineering technician. Im skilled in the electrical, mechanical, pneumatics and PLC fields, but would be looking at going on th rig as an electrician.

I want to know the day to day jobs electricians do on the rig?

What its like working on the rig?

Is it enjoyable?

Is it a steady job?

Any help or advice would be fantastic :thumbs:

Hi mate, I am an ops tech but I work closely with all the sparkies out here. It is a very good job if you can handle the time away. The majority of work I sign for is the day to day stuff such as close inspections/HAE inspections, lighting, glanding/terminating, motor isolations/installations the usual. You would need to probably be familiar with high voltage gear as our generators put out 14kv and also your compex needs to be up to date.

Life is pretty good, you will usually be on a 2 week offshore 3 week at home rota, offshore will be 7 days a week 12 hours a day so it's long days but maintainence dept is usually kept quite busy so days go in quite quick.

Money is pretty good too I'm not 100% but I think most of the sparks on here are on around 52K so not too shabby really. What I have said above only really applies to core crew members, you can go as contract ad hoc but work is unsteady and your are not guarenteed a rotation.

I would advise that you look into doing your offshore survival/medial (petrofac training/falk nutek) which is around £800, most employers will look for offshore experience so if you have done your survival off your own back then it will look good in your favour.

Have a look on websites such as oilcareers, petrofac, aker solutions, psn, wood group and the likes.

Good luck with the job hunt.

R

No probs, I'm with Aker Solutions at the moment (hopefully be Total by the end of the week). Subsea 7 is more a service company they do a lot of work with ROV's so you would probably end up on a boat rather than a rig. Depends what you want but an Electrical Technician on a plaform is a comfortable job.

R

I can recommend being a offshore wind turbine tech if you don't fancy time away from any family etc. Obviously not as much money, but you come back every day and its quite interesting with the bit of boating and sea views! :lol:

edit: Easier to get into than the rigs too, most companies would pay for all your training as they recognise previous experience in the field is still rare.

srobrien has given sound advise on the Rig Electrician front. Transocean seem to own the majority of oil rigs now days, so they might be a good bet to look at also.

I work for Subsea7 as an ROV Technician. They are split into two parts 'Subsea7' who are mainly on boats doing subsea construction work, and 'I-Tech7' that are mainly on drill rigs. I do the latter.

As far I'm aware you can't be a 'rig electrician' with subsea7. There maybe some subsea7 electricians that work for the marine department on the Subsea7 owned vessels but I imagine only a hand full.

As far as being an ROV tech, I would recommend it. Its a great mix of work and play. On the rigs we generally do 3 weeks on 3 weeks off, so 21 x 12 hour shifts then 3 weeks at home. We work in a small team (usually 3) of a supervisor, a technician, and a trainee or pilot/tech.

A typical day (obviously this varies) consists of a couple of hours system maintenance, launch the ROV in the water and take turns 'flying' it around and using the robotic arms to do whatever work needs doing subsea(thats the play bit ;) ). When the works complete, recover the ROV to deck and carry out any maintenance/repairs that may be required. Technically, its very varied. Between the 3 of you, you have to maintain/repair the whole system -the control van is full of Electrical/electronic equipment such as monitors, control panels, video equipment, Fibre optics, HV control cabinets etc...-Then there is the launch equipment consisting of winches and A-frames which are mainly Hydraulics. The Umbilical (heavy duty cable) and junction boxes which carry fibre optics, High and low voltage electricity and video to and from the ROV. Then the ROV it's self, High and low voltage electrics, electronic control pods, video Cameras, sonar,lights, Manipulators (robotic arms), Hydraulics and the mechanical frame.

When initially thinking about rig work, I was considering rig sparky or mechanic. All I can say now, is I wouldn't want to do any other job offshore. If I'm honest, compared to us, everyone else seems to be working so hard all day, everyday and although my job can be very busy at times there is also relaxed periods where you can slip away down the gym or sit and watch a film/browse the net in the comfort of the control van. ;)

As far as working away from home, on a rig or boat, you won't know if it's for you unless you try it. I do miss getting in my own bed and snuggling up to the missus every night but the quality time off and wage helps make up for it. :teeth:

Thanks again guys :thumbs:

Sam that ROV Tech job sounds great. Would I need any ROV based trained before applying for such a job? What sort of money are we talking? If you dont mind me asking

Some people would say do an ROV course, it may help your chances but they are very expensive. In my experience if a company want you they will give you any training you require. I had no previous ROV training or experience. My CV consisted of a 4 year Electro/mechanical apprenticeship , 9 years in the RAF as an Airframe Tech and various engineering ONDs etc and an HNC.

There is a website (ROVWORLD.COM) that has some good information on it if your thinking down these lines. However, its full of knobs and moaners so don't bother joining, just use it as a information resource.

Wages vary depending on companies, contracts and days worked a year but as a guide you would start as a trainee pilot tech on around 30 to 35k, then Pilot tech (shouldn't take more than a year to get promoted) on 35 to 45k, then Submersible tech (after another year or so) 45k to 60k and supervisor ( possible in around 5 years) 60 to 75k

I work for (probably) the biggest oilfield service company in the world.

When I started at 19 I was finished studying (went to Uni at 16) and was employed by the company. I started of as 'WIT' (Well Completions Intervention Team) based in Paris and quickly moved to Russia (Nefteyugansk in Siberia then Usinsk in the Arctic mainly and Moscow when I could) as that was the busiest location in the world then I come back to the UK when I was 22 and worked in Europe and Africa (mainly South and France and North Sea) for the next 3 - 3 1/2 years.

During all this time I was installing and commissioning Electrical Submersible Pumps and all the associated Monitoring gauges, Switchboards and Variable Speed Drives (both low and medium voltage) and any other fancy new tech they threw at me! This was a job that had me working on drill floors of platforms, jack ups and semi subs. I also worked very closely with the Electricians to get the surface gear up and running.

I've retired to the office now but I did enjoy working away. The one thing that bugged me was working ad-hoc. It was a nightmare for me in the end as I was either in the office or offshore and never off. EVER!

It's a lifestyle choice and I have done it a bit differently by going to some crapholes and most extreme climates in the world. I'm a person that has driven a Land Cruiser in Arctic Siberia and the Sahara!

I've had a real adventure and have earned my office chair being far more experienced than my age would suggest.

Don't just look at North Sea as it might be far easier getting a job in the Caspian or Africa working 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off. Working conditions might not be as cushtie but it depends if you want to work in the oil industry or if you fancy a trip offshore.

If you want more advice give me a shout as my Dad happens to own a decent sized Electrical company doing a lot of work in the oil industry across the world and his Engineering team are always looking for competent sparkys to employ.