Stupid question on air conditioning

Jed

What is the purpose of the H & L caps/valves under the bonnet/ Also ive seen gas recharge kits on ebay and are they worth it does any one know?

Jed, the H and L stands for High and Low.

The caps are in fact valve covers, and simply screw off to access the valves.

I have never tried the Ebay recharge kits so I can not give you an informed opinion off them but I quess that they could be a waste of your hard earned.

Alex. :)

If u over charge u will destroy the compressor. The kits may be ok but better go to halfords or another motor factors shop and get one with the added insurance if there's any problems with it. If you charge urself and break the system then you have no comeback either.

I remember reading somewhere a while back that you have to be particularly careful regassing aircon.....apparently (and this could of been some chimp peddling an urban legend) if you purge any of the aircon gas it decomposes into something very close to mustard gas.

Although I'm sure some air con expert will now reduce me to dust for suggesting such a thing :blackeye:

I'm an ac engineer but not for auto. The principles are all the same though. Air psychrometry is the same no matter. My advise is to find an auto ac engineer. Not kwikfit etc. Find a private company who know what try are doing. It will save u the heartache of destroying a compressor