Lovely in corners, "follows the road" on straights

slimjim

The more and more I drive... the more I notice that my car tends to drift/track with grooves in the road.

It mostly happens on straights where you can pretty much see the grooves in the road made by trucks etc...

Yes, my wheels are "wrong" with having 8's on the front and 8's on the back (rather than 8.5)

And they are 19's, making the fronts +6% off standard rolling radius!

Anyone else notice this? Would getting my tires on the front (the rears are now only 2% off standard RR) reduce this?

Is this just something cars with wide wheels suffer from?

I get this quite a bit as I work on an industrial estate that is used by 1,000s of Arctics everyday week in, week out. I thought that pretty much any RWD car with wide tyres will tramline :shrug:

TRAMLINE... that was the damn word I was trying to remember :D

Yeah... so do all Zed's do it?

Just gotta keep both hands on the wheel at all times :drive1

Wear to the inside of tyres due to negative camber can cause the car to do this, also if the front wheels have positive toe (& negative camber) it will make the car more unstable at higher speeds & can cause it to "tramline"

Did you not get the alignment done a while back Jim?

Are these "Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's" directional?

Wear to the inside of tyres due to negative camber can cause the car to do this, also if the front wheels have negative toe it will make the car more unstable at higher speeds & can cause it to "tramline"

Yeah, had it all aligned a few days after our drive round Wales bud... once my new tires turned up... and were fitting in the right direction :D

Like I say, 905% of the time, they are great.... just sometimes they pull on rough roads... or when I am crossing white lines/cats eyes...

I will have a look on the front and see if there is any excessive toe in/toe out wear. Can't see how though as they were aligned recently...

Good idea to check though, cheers Daz!

i don't find my z does tramline much, might be because my previous 330ci did it so badly though! It was terrible and got worse in cold weather for some reason. Especially when braking sometimes you needed to grab the wheel to stop it going off the road!

May have been worn bushes also.

Ps mines just on the standard size rays so different alloys may be the difference!

Wear to the inside of tyres due to negative camber can cause the car to do this, also if the front wheels have negative toe it will make the car more unstable at higher speeds & can cause it to "tramline"

Yeah, had it all aligned a few days after our drive round Wales bud... once my new tires turned up... and were fitting in the right direction :D

Like I say, 905% of the time, they are great.... just sometimes they pull on rough roads... or when I am crossing white lines/cats eyes...

I will have a look on the front and see if there is any excessive toe in/toe out wear. Can't see how though as they were aligned recently...

Good idea to check though, cheers Daz!

Mine only does it on roads with grooves like you say from excessive lorry usage, I find the Z wheels fit exactly in the lorry lines :drive1

Only other times are when there is a severe camber to the road so I think its perfectly normal, certainly dont get any on nice flat straight roads :thumbs:

Spacers dont help but thats another can of worms!