Battery issue

maxi-glasgow

I had problems with my battery back in July and went into Kwik Fit who tested and said it was the battery that needed replaced so they did.

Noticed in past few days that when starting the speed of turning over and starting sounded slightly different and this made me start looking at volt meter which when start would jump up and down from 0-around 14 very very fast. Now perhaps the volt meter always does this and its only now that im noticing it.

Went down into underground car park this morning and it turned over incredibily slowly until it stops.

Green flag on their way, but does this just sound like i have been sold a dud battery or potentially more in regards to alternator etc?

Guy from Green Flag came out and done a volt check, 12v, said that should be enough and I told him it doesn't work and showed him so.

He stuck the booster thing they carry and it started on very first turn. Volts were then reading just over 14v at the battery so Alternator was fine.

Drove straight up to Kwik Fit as green flag guy asked me if I had topped up the battery as the top of it was damp round the little ports you would use to top it up, obviously I hadn't touched it.

Into Kwik Fit, they stuck their diagnostic handheld machine on battery and it reported battery unserviceable!!!!

So they replaced it and it turns over and starts the way it should do, and just for the record the volt meter does not go haywire when starting anymore.

So if your volt meter is showing erratic movement when your starting the car best get your battery checked as it's on the way out.