Advice wanted on digital TV recorders

nixy

I can't decide whether to go with sky on the minimum package per month and use sky plus or to go down another route. I have TV's upstairs and downstairs which are HD ready with freeview built in. I don't have pots of money and as I've only just moved i'm not sure what my monthly commitments will settle at just yet before the bills start coming in. Not sure what to do for the best - I just want to be able to do similar as I could before with sky plus i.e. pause rewind and record TV or a whole series - preferably with dual tuners so i can record two things at once. I'm finding it all a bit of a minefield with freeview + boxes, hard drive recorders, Freesat etc. I don't have a dish at the new house so freesat worked out quite expensive to set up. Any advice?

Me and my mate put this in for his dad last night.........looked pretty sweet to be fair and it will poo all over a Sky box for hard drive size (500gb)

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.209-9461.aspx

I've god Sky HD and I have to say is the biggest load of conning shash I've come accross........you end up accidentially watching a programme in normal resolution and realise half way through that its in HD too and you've just wasted some of your £10 a month.

Sky also has untold amounts of crap programming on it to be honest - costs me £51 a month for everything apart from music, espn, movies and kids tv.

If you do go with Sky sign up via www.quidco.co.uk and you'll probably get £50 to £100 back.

£300 is more than i want so spend - not bothered about HD - it doesn't really make a massive difference that i can notice although I know the HD lovers disagree! I suppose it does make sense to pay up front for something you're not tied into though - if i go with sky on min package i'm not bothered about the extra channels and the box is useless if you don't subscribe.....although after a year i would still have the dish and could then get a freesat box i suppose for recording...........mmm never thought of that......... I also hate the way Sky put random things in packages to make you 'need' them. I wanted eurosport for the bike racing - where have they put that you ask? In the news package! :thumbdown:

We were in a similar situation when we moved in last year. I ended up getting a Humax HD Freesat box,as we had a sky dish on the house already,and didnt know if we would use Sky+.

Im now thinking of upgrading the Hard Drive version,which is not cheap,but compared to Sky+ it is. Im looking at getting at this. http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Humax-HDR-FOX-T2/

We dont watch much TV,and we are happy with the channels we get with the box now,its just the recording feature that we need.

had one of these for about 2 years now, dead easy to use, twin tuner, it as locked up on me a few times have to switch off at the mains :blush: got mine from argos for £89, have tried ebay for you as argos don't sell them anymore.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGIHOME-DTR80-FR ... 41538adfba

it is a refurb but cheap as chips :)

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGIHOME-DTR160-F ... 3f03f52da0

twice the HD space fora few quid more but i seem to remember they had more HD troubles than the above 80gb version :blush:

There are loads of freeview boxes on the Market and the price point is dependent mainly on the size of the hard drive so depends how much you want to keep/record.

Costco have a large selection and they are normally very good price. Don't buy an inverto unit which we have btw !! Grundig and humax units are supposed to be the best. Digital spy is a good forum to check for advice on the best to buy.

Good luck