Gear Changing Techniques

neo-ninja

Hi All,

Just been wondering if anyone has any "special" way or advice to get smooth gear changes in the Zed, Im still getting used to driving the car i would say, and now i am getting much more confident i am giving it more welly, but still find that the initial pulling away from 1st-2nd-3rd can be quite difficult to get a very smooth change. (i know the gear boxes can be cluchy when cold)

I do find probably 50% of the time im bang on and its smooth but the other 50% its not. (Only when pulling away at speed)

Also i know this has been asked lots before but what revs do people find the should be changing/the sweet spot to change on a stock 2005 car? Rev limiter kicks in at 6.5k but i do remember reading its actually better at around 5.5-6k

just sounds like it would burn clutch as the engine loses speed to meet the wheel speed?

the energy it looses is expelled as heat produced in the clutch... the more revs it has to shave off to match wheel speed the more energy it needs to lose.

also does that not give a lurch forward? potentially setting off the traction control.

your a crazy man anders :p

just sounds like it would burn clutch as the engine loses speed to meet the wheel speed?

the energy it looses is expelled as heat produced in the clutch... the more revs it has to shave off to match wheel speed the more energy it needs to lose.

also does that not give a lurch forward? potentially setting off the traction control.

your a crazy man anders :p

:dance:

10min in... smooth gearing changing inside...

the reason why it works is because it prevents you from a forced ultra quick gear change.

it does work. he means a blip not a nailing. ;)

the best way to change up smoothly is by killing the clutch. problem solved...till you need a new clutch :p:lol:

slipping the clutch? ;)

I find the fastest way is to start in the top left-hand corner with the left pedal pressed down. Then you carefully depress the pedal while AT THE SAME TIME pressing the pedal on the right. Then when the car is rolling along a bit, what you've got to do is let go of the pedal that makes all that noise and go press that pedal on the left again. Once you've managed to push it all the way to the floor, you push the gearstick thing down into the bottom left-hand corner and repeat what you did after you went into first.

At this point you must be going pretty darn fast and everything in front of you is blurring into a daze, much akin to many a computer game. Take care to avoid kerbs, grannies with shopping bags, your mates in their pimped corsas and other random obstacles in the tesco car park.

If you still have space before you run out of car park space, you could try changing into the gear in the middle of the three at the top, once again making good use of the clutch pedal. If you're feeling lazy and/or competing against Barry in his 43hp Citroen, you could always just go straight for the bottom right-hand corner option. This turns your gearbox into automatic mode with no need to change gears and gives it awesome sound when you're breaking through the sound barrier at 40mph.

I'm sure in fast and the furious don says we should be double clutching aswell ;):lol:

Sorry Anders I could resist. I know what you mean about the blip I do it on the track sometimes by mistake just catching the revs a little higher than they should be. I come onto the throttle a little early when kecking myself seeing the man they call alex shooting up my back end :scare::)

I find the fastest way is to start in the top left-hand corner with the left pedal pressed down. Then you carefully depress the pedal while AT THE SAME TIME pressing the pedal on the right. Then when the car is rolling along a bit, what you've got to do is let go of the pedal that makes all that noise and go press that pedal on the left again. Once you've managed to push it all the way to the floor, you push the gearstick thing down into the bottom left-hand corner and repeat what you did after you went into first.

At this point you must be going pretty darn fast and everything in front of you is blurring into a daze, much akin to many a computer game. Take care to avoid kerbs, grannies with shopping bags, your mates in their pimped corsas and other random obstacles in the tesco car park.

If you still have space before you run out of car park space, you could try changing into the gear in the middle of the three at the top, once again making good use of the clutch pedal. If you're feeling lazy and/or competing against Barry in his 43hp Citroen, you could always just go straight for the bottom right-hand corner option. This turns your gearbox into automatic mode with no need to change gears and gives it awesome sound when you're breaking through the sound barrier at 40mph.

:yahoo::lol: for time and effort typing that! :thumbs: For input value to the thread :thumbdown:

(then again I'm not known for that either)

I'm sure in fast and the furious don says we should be double clutching aswell ;):lol:

Sorry Anders I could resist. I know what you mean about the blip I do it on the track sometimes by mistake just catching the revs a little higher than they should be. I come onto the throttle a little early when kecking myself seeing the man they call alex shooting up my back end :scare::)

:lol: @ double clutching

If you got Alex behind you no matter what you do with a N/A Z will help I'd say... ;) (unless you block him from passing that is :blush: )

blip the accelerator...

going down.

heal toe - down

blip - up

Heal/toeing is blipping isnt it? As you're quickly revving for a split second while dipping the clutch. Bikers call it blipping when they clutch and rev on downshift. I thought the idea was to match the revs with the lower gear/higher revs at a given speed?