Mutant HD unit,

garygttdi

Sorry guys I suspect its been asked before !

Just got my Fairlady (hate that name) the previous owner fitted a replacement head unit its complete crap and its hooked up to the front speakers only ,frankly its fit for the bin.

I would prefer a double DIN unit that will hook up to all the speakers, car does not have Bose, so what does it have any speakers in the rear any amps etc.

Any recommendations on what to fit and a good place to take the car to have it done, not good with car electrics they always bite me, so a DIY approach is out I fear. I live In yeovil Somerset.

Any thoughts on Budget was hoping to keep around £200 :thumbs:

Not a chance buddy. Not for £200! :lol:

A second hand double din from eBay will probably set you back over £250 on its own, though if you're lucky maybe less (i managed to snag one for £175 after 3 weeks of hawking).

A professional ICE installer like road radio will charge you around £60 to plug the head unit in and that won't include any speakers or amps. Just the HU.

If you don't have the BOSE speakers and are installing the HU then you'd be mad not to upgrade the speakers as well, especially if you spending that dosh on a decent head unit. A pair of half decent co-axial fronts for your door mounts are going to set you back at least £150 and may require some mountiong work.

If I'm honest mate just doing the HU is going to set you back at least £350 before you touch a speaker after all the nick nacks you will need.

The link below from Rob_Quads is essential reading for anyone considering an ICE replacement.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16403

Good luck! :thumbs:

Thanks James, I was always thinking my budget was unrealistic at least you have confirmed it, I suspect as the existing head unit would not supply the speakers set up in the car the guy has just not bothered to connect them. Will need to pull the head out and see what cables we have in behind or is it that a JDM does not have any speakers in the rear ? :shrug:

Can't say as mines a GT. Speakers arn't invisible so I'd suggest having a good look (you have eye's? :p )

Its the extra units you will need that will cost you about £100 by the time you've paid for postage. I'd advise spending a week watrching double dins on ebay and seeing what they go for.

Thanks James although your manners are not what I have come to find as normal on hear! Yes I have eyes and the car has speakers grills what I do not know without guidance is if anything exists behind them. I was hoping a helpful member might be able to assist me by relating a similar set of circumstances.

I will check out ebay as you suggested, or maybe I should sell the car and find a club with a better well-mannered set of members. I was after all just looking for guidance!!

:offtopic:

Hi Gary, it looks as though alot of the jdms don't have the rear speakers (possibly an optional extra) if your looking to change your set-up and looking for a double din may I suggest saving and going for a good one which you will enjoy rather than a cheap one which is of poor quality and poor sound outputs. You may be able to post up and see if anyone has one, stick an add in the wanted section. As for rear speakers, check the guides I'm sure there will be one somewhere. If there's none then your gonna be a little out of pocket to fit some I reckon especially if your not doing it yourself.

Have you checked the balance and fade setting ls on the hu? Have a look and make sure the rears aren't isolated

Gary for a double din unit realistically second hand your taking about 250-300 for a decent one with out navigation. Do you need to plug in an iPod? USB? Will you be running a sub? Amping your speakers?

For one with decent sound but no touch screen they can be had for 150 from makes like kenwood and pioneer. They will have your more standard led screen.

Thanks Guys this is helping a lot JVC any good I rated it in my younger days, will start looking for speakers next think I will need to spend around double my original budget!

Will have the speaker covers off the car tonight and see if anything is in there!

Front speaker door covers just pop out (assuming there the same on all 350Z's).

Rear grills dont come off and involve removing half the interiors trim to get at the speakers.

If your after a cheap and cheerfull setup then i reakon £200 for a headunit, £100 for some front speakers, i wouldnt spend more then £20-30 on the rears.

For under £200 this looks ok...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cde-w203ri.html

Cant go wrong with alpine in my opinion.

As you already have an aftermarket headunit you shouldnt need any extras, if you did the fascia, steering controls adaptor and harness come to around £60.