Custom Bottle Heater - Idea's please....

Wasso

Okay so winter is approaching and my NOS bottles will be dropping pressure due to the colder climates.

In order to resolve this issue I need to install a bottle heater(s).

If I was to go for a bottle heater from the Wizards of NOS - I'd be looking at £140 per bottle heater. Okay I could get by with just using the one and transfering each time I wished to use the 2nd bottle. Although I'm sure there's a number of techy people here to invent me a low cost, simple installation that will serve it's purpose.

Here's a picture of the bottles which are in the glove box behind the passenger seat.

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

The next question I'm sure you'll ask is how warm/hot do the bottles need to be. I would pressume around the 24/25 degree mark. I'd like a nice simple switch option that I can locate maybe where my controller is - which would make sense as it's right near the bottles...

6.jpg

So - any suggestions please post..... :thumbs:

:lol:

ok mate some thoughts.

- Your going to need to know the best temperature to keep the bottles at and also the max surface temperature they can handle.

- the easiest option is to get some heated seat elements out of something from the scrappies.

- if you wanted, you could even get a spare "elbow operated" (heated seat) switch and put it next to your heated seat switches to control the bottle heater?

- you would need to find some kind of insulation that would be happy with the heat levels from the element & would be effective at keeping the bottles warm.

- possibility is to have a thermostat and be temperature controlled to; not waste power, extend the life expectancy of the elements, keep the perfect temperature & stop you from having to turn it off and on.

Primus-Multi-fuel-Camping-Stove.jpg

best I can come up with! :shrug:

I like it, simple and effective if not a bit direct!! :scare:

Only problem is when going round a corner or accelerating it may fall over and set fire to the car, and if that hasn't happened maybe a small explosion, or shall I say TWO explosions!! :thumbdown:

Husk - me likes that idea. I was personally thinking of one of those plug in heaters you can purchase, i.e. warm the air around the bottles?? But then it's a bit cheap and would probably take longer.

Here is the link to the bottle heater supplied by WON http://www.noswizard.com/hpsnw_admin/pdf/heater2.pdf

I guess there may be some information on the bottle which may help provide some of the information you require, I can take a look and maybe that might answer some of the technical questions?

I have the UK facelift, so my heater switches aren't elbow prone.... :lol: although I actually have my Nitrous ignition switch in the space rocker space next to the heater switches, so I was thinking more of hiding it away in the controller area?

Reptile heat pads deliver a constant low heat and are paper thin. you can even get a thermostat to maintain the temperature.

I have a Komodo one and i can sit on it and it will nicely warm my behind without cooking it. They work of 240v so you would need an inverter.

hook it up to a temperature controler and it will maintain your glove box at whatever temp you want as long as it has power you could even wrap them round the bottles.

heat mat

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Komodo-Habitat-He ... 19b815b993

temperature controler

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Microclimate-B1-P ... 45f56b3017

I think before getting a heater you ensure you have a camera set-up on the dash, then sort out the heater, then wait for it to snow, switch on camera, switch on heater, use NOS, post film. Can't wait for the video!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Camera on dashboard - check

Turn camera on - check

Heater - nearly there - call it check

Use Nos - check

Post film - that wouldn't be possible as I may be dead.... :wacko:

When I say "winter" I of course don't mean during a blizzard or when it's chucking it down with rain. There are "some" dry days in the cooler parts of our year, such as early this morning and probably upto and including December etc.

Although it would be funny to post such an instance with the snow. But then again knowing how bad the traction is in the snow, with the NOS activated I'm not going to go anywhere fast!! (Probably just spin round in a circle!)

Ekona - I've tried the turning heater on solution - only problem being is because the bottles are in the glove box, it's very difficult to get the heat direct into that area. In the meantime I'm sweating buckets just to heat the bottles.

ChrisS - I'm in favour of that cheap blanket - out of stock not an issue, although a possible solution. I could try and see if it works, and if not it's not a great loss due to the price.

Husky - Sounds simple when you put it like that, although I have issues putting a battery in a torch - well not that bad but I'm not a soldering master. Maybe I could possibly swing some work your way ;) with reward!

*Based on bottle pressure shouldn't be too much of an issue. I have a reading that comes on the controller indicating the bottle pressure. I can simply turn off the heater when it reaches the desired level. Currently the cold weather is generating a low pressure of 550psi - I need to reach a level of optimum 850psi - so I guess a minimal amount is required. Note I should avoid going over 1000psi! :oops:

I will of course try the simple option provided by ChrisS to see if this will work - if not - plan B - the technical way!!

Cheers

That's alot of pressure behind your seat! I work on ac@ around 30bar and that's scary when it bursts or leaks.

Would you recommend nos? I'm think about it as my next big mod but not really spoken to anyone that has really used it. I have a boc gas place less than 5 mins from my house also so it could be handy.

does the controller have an output of any kind for the pressure getting to high?

if you source the pressure switch i can help with wiring its not going to be hard :)

For safety if the bottle pressure gets too high, there is a special release valve in the bottle neck. At any time the pressure is too high, it simply releases the over pressure until safe/normal pressure is resumed.

There is a pressure sensor that connects to the lines, and as such reads out on the display. Herewith the wiring diagram (am I lazy or what) http://www.noswizard.com/hpsnw_admin/pd ... 1.9_8A.pdf

The pressure indicator is there for gauging bottle content and of course if too low the NOS will not activate, which I believe is under 600psi.

NeilP - It is a lot of pressure - not that I personally understand HOW much pressure - although luckily it's behind the passenger seat facing left and right, so hopefully it would miss me if heading my way. The bottle is supposed to be positioned front to back, although the area in the glove box couldn't accomodate that option.

Would I recommend NOS?

It's a tough question as it only fits a gap between simple modifications such as bolt on's and then Super Chargers or Turbo kits. Turbo and SC cost lots of cash. This has already been pre-discussed somewhere - where a SC and Tkit will continually be active, and thus potentially straining the engine when driving. The NOS can be activated at any time you wish. Therefore the extra strain only occurs when it's on! NOS I believe generates a different kind of power and is very much Torque orientated, as such I am currently limited to running no more than 300tq to the wheels. I am currently at 298tq and Mark @ Abbey has said it will be unsafe to proceed any further unless engine strengthening is undertaken.

The NOS Controller is programmed to initiate at 4k revs and at 85% throttle. Therefore only a small window is open to use the NOS. Although, hit 3rd or 4th gear and the benefits are much better than stock! You can have the NOS active although if your pedal is less than 85% it won't squirt!

So -- benefits are it's cheaper - although depends on how often you wish to squirt. (How often do you REALLY want to use a SC or Turbo) I managed to get 4 laps of the nurburgring and used a bottle and a half (I have two bottles at 5lb each). I also have 75 shot jets, so the larger the jet the more you use. Upgrading from one size of jet to another is a simple as £12. So if I wanted 300 shot jets then it would be a cost of £12. Bottle refills - 10lb - cost around £40 to £50 and if used on the street will last on average around 30-40 blasts using 1st 2nd and 3rd gear.

Negatives - it's not as good as a SC or Turbo - clearly! I'm running 309bhp to the hubs, which is roughly an improvement of 70bhp - please note that I also have other mod's working with the NOS to achieve this number. I'm guessing that I'm running about 360-370bhp at the front? NOS has to be refilled. This can be a nuisence. NOS at my current state as mentioned only runs between 4k and 7k, therefore a limited window. A SC or Turbo will give you better performance as it's active pretty much at the point you hit the GO pedal.

Summary - it's a good alternative if you don't fancy going the whole hog to SC or Turbo. I spent a fair amount of cash on my system because I wanted a stealth system and wanted to retain my boot space. It was also installed and mapped at Abbey, so again I could have saved money by doing the install myself. Although I'd have messed it up!! There is also Dyno time required to set it up. In addition I had the higher end controller - although not essential. Not only that but my two bottles instead of one 10lb bottle - which increases cost.

It depends on how far you want to go. Yes the added power is what I call nice. It's not "fast and furious" - I'd have to forge the engine to go that far. If I was to estimate a basic system you're looking at around the £700 mark. Then there is Dyno time / install time (which is also costed on where you locate the bottle(s) - then there is the cost of the refill's as you use the sytem.

I am power hungry and should have just gone straigh for the SC (because I wanted a luxury install) - but I still love my NOS as it's simple, handy for the odd blast and is stealth. Nobody knows apart from you lot :ninja:;)

Personally I think you have spent all that cash having it installed and mapped I would not be thinking of saving a few quid rigging up heaters for your bottles.

Get the proper kit. :thumbs:

I see your point, but why pay £100's pounds just to warm the bottles.... I could possibly sleep with the bottles at night and slide them in the car in the morning :lol:

I may just try the heated blanked first, see how that goes - I'd be looking at nearly £300 just for two bottle heaters - so saving a few extra hundred pounds means that I can spend the cash on other important parts ;) I'm saving for the body kit for 2011, along with suspension modifications.....