Todays Poll....

chrisjones6699

What should I do?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Stay in my industry and do another job?
    • Complete change and go for Car Sales?
    • Complete change and do something else?
    • Other? (please specify)

Which company is the car sales job for Chris? I'll get you a little info if you want, about the car dealer and if he's much a prick to work for! I'd honestly love to enter the car industry. I'm not a sales person but having worked in dealers before I love the industry. One of my mates who has been hugely successful with the car dealer he was at left last week to go on his own and in fairness he's making good money! I've even bought a car off him to replace my runabout, he's a good salesman haha.

Dan's nailed it........your job (presumably) pays you a set wage (plus I assume overtime if your in Security). Self employment usually needs a fist full of dollars to start with and switching to a commission/target based job without knowing the industry could see you taking less money then you do now.

Im self employed now. I dont have a wage, i get a daily rate and at the moment, my daily rate is the least its been in the 5 years i've been doing this line of work. I would have to do pretty bad to earn less than I earn now.

My point was that I'm fed up of not having a social life. I can earn a lot of money now but that would mean me leaving the country for months on end and potentially put my life at risk. I've done all that. I spent nearly 3 years in Iraq and i was nearly blown up and kidnapped. I want to settle down and have somewhat a normal life. I can stay in this line of work in the UK, be away from home for a few weeks a month and earn a reasonable wage (with no social life) or i can take a risk and try something new.

I would say I'm fortunate enough to be able to come back to this industry if it didnt work out elsewhere.

I have taken Biscuits advice and found an OU course that could be a good start to photography!

Ahhhhhhhh here's me thinking your 'Security' sat in some warehouse somewhere asking people for I/D badges and sipping endless brews!!

Well buddy you know better than anyone how dangerous your line of work is........after watching some documentary or another about it on Sky a week or 2 back I think you must either have no fear or knackers of pure steel!

Your actually in a good position because like you say you can go back whenever you want if money dries up as you work for yourself.

Based on what I assume is highly stylised (but presumably accurate) ex-SAS books I've read the 'circuit' seems like a bloody stressful job never mind the fact that you have no social life.

Go for it with the uni course though mate - I see more and more people doing it in our industry just so they can get out. :thumbs:

If you like cars and fancy selling them you may as well go for the change. I've been doing the same line of work for 20 years and it's about time for change. Going to startup my own business next year.

Just out of curiosity, how many years have you said that for?

I've only this month decided. I've always love my line of work. I was never born to be behind a desk although only in the last twelve months have I been getting really annoyed of how in competent some companies can be. So I'm making plans to do something I enjoy which involves cars and have the added bonus of working for myself. I've already been enquiring about courses and qualifications so hopefully by early spring I want to be setup. The only problem is that I earn good money doing what I do now and I'm sure changing career will reduce my income. Although I'm planning long term to reap the results.

One of the geezers I used to work with bought and sold cars for years, He left earlier this year and started doing it fulltime. Makes a decent living out of it from what I hear.

Actually, if you're in security and are a bit bored sign yourself up to go and work for some company or another in Iraq for 6 months, should see both your bank balance and your adrenaline rise quite steeply! ;)

Nearly 3 years there was enough for me thanks :surrender: I'm still on a come down after it too!

A while back some of the private security firms were earning massive paychecks out there, but then it was danger money; and there was a lot of danger out there :scare:

Thats what I was doing out there and yes, big money and even bigger risks! I'll not go into too much detail but my last two months there, involved a prison set up for me and my team and when we left camp, they blew us up killing two of the team.

Actually, if you're in security and are a bit bored sign yourself up to go and work for some company or another in Iraq for 6 months, should see both your bank balance and your adrenaline rise quite steeply! ;)
I spent nearly 3 years in Iraq and i was nearly blown up and kidnapped

:lol::lol:

I have a passion for photography and i also cant stop thinking about the show i done with my brothers. I would love to do another few shows but its not up to me. I love photography but what options do i have without qualifications and experience? I dont know how i could make as much money as i can now. I know its not all about money but my situation requires me to make a decent living. I need to save for a mortgage.

I'm having my civil ceremony in Cardiff next April, haven't booked a photographer cos our photographer for the main wedding wants ridiculous amounts just for an extra 1-2 hrs because the civil is on a different day...i was going to do photography my self, but given the fact am getting married thats probably not going to work :lol: Your welcome to have a go at taking some photos if you like, got any pictures on the web around :thumbs:..you can even use my Camera (Cannon 450D, got a couple of lens in addition to the kit lens, hopefully will have an external flash gun by next April)

I have a passion for photography and i also cant stop thinking about the show i done with my brothers. I would love to do another few shows but its not up to me. I love photography but what options do i have without qualifications and experience? I dont know how i could make as much money as i can now. I know its not all about money but my situation requires me to make a decent living. I need to save for a mortgage.

I'm having my civil ceremony in Cardiff next April, haven't booked a photographer cos our photographer for the main wedding wants ridiculous amounts just for an extra 1-2 hrs because the civil is on a different day...i was going to do photography my self, but given the fact am getting married thats probably not going to work :lol: Your welcome to have a go at taking some photos if you like, got any pictures on the web around :thumbs:..you can even use my Camera (Cannon 450D, got a couple of lens in addition to the kit lens, hopefully will have an external flash gun by next April)

Thanks very much mate! I would love to give it a go!

He's a few of photo's i took at my mates Moroccan wedding this year. I took a fair few but quickly picked these. They are unedited and i think they've lost some quality through photobucket.

IMG_3784.jpg

IMG_3795.jpg

IMG_3804.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

Your pictures look good! just showed it my fiancee shes happy to for you to have go :thumbs: We can even give you some money for it, the venue if probably going to be cardiff city hall....so if your defiantly free early April next year give me a PM, and ill give the details for your first photoshot job :teeth: