RPM Needle froze at 950rpm????

Wasso

This sounds really odd.....

I was driving to work this morning and happened to look down at my RPM needle that was frozen at 950rpm. :blink:

I was in various gears, i.e. 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The needle didn't move despite accelerating or changing gear?? :snack:

Then after the 1 minute had passed my RPM needle then decided to replicate that of the engine revs. Not once did the needle drop to the pin, as if to say there was no signal, it just rested at 950rpm?!!!

Should I be worried?

Are you positive that you were driving and not just sat in the car parked up? :p

In all seriousness though, I have no idea - doesn't sound good though!

I know I was a bit sleepy this morning and had to look twice when I first noticed. I thought I was in a trance!!!!!! I thought maybe the car was floating!! :lol::lol:

I have a slight suspision it may be related to my NOS. It wasn't activated, although the controller actually links into the RPM signal, maybe there was some sort of "blip" and the rev counter was not receiving the signal correctly?? But then again if it wasn't receiving a signal the needle would drop?

I'm very much puzzled.... I might send a pm to Mark @ Abbey if there is no joy on here?

Hmmmm Sticking - I like it.... but what would it get stuck on - unless there's some interferance behind the unit????

if any module loses signal it returns to the default, for the rpm needle this will be 0 revs. So if there was a fault where it lost signal it wouldnt hover.

The needles within the cluster are smoothed by the mechanism being filled with a silicone based lubricant gel. It's a delicate mechanism that shouldn't be left upside down for prolonged periods, the gel can be disturbed leading to sticking needles. Is your car an import? if so i imagine the cluster will have been removed to alter it to mph? in which case they may have had the cluster face down potentially damaging it?

I suppose the odd one will eventually develop a random fault, maybe moisture, maybe something else. It's difficult to guess tbh but thats the best i can think of.

Car is UK I'm afraid - so that blows that theory....

Although it was only the other day I was testing to see if I could drive on the ceiling of a tunnel, you know how they drive really fast then drive round the tunnel. Guess what I made it, although it appears my RPM signal/needle has suffered. :lol::lol:

This is bonkers, I could possibly relate to some sort of circuitry failure/blip. I am going to see what happens over the coming days and weeks. If it comes back I'll be on the phone to someone....

Cheers for your suggestions.... :thumbs:

Car is UK I'm afraid - so that blows that theory....

Although it was only the other day I was testing to see if I could drive on the ceiling of a tunnel, you know how they drive really fast then drive round the tunnel. Guess what I made it, although it appears my RPM signal/needle has suffered. :lol::lol:

This is bonkers, I could possibly relate to some sort of circuitry failure/blip. I am going to see what happens over the coming days and weeks. If it comes back I'll be on the phone to someone....

Cheers for your suggestions.... :thumbs:

i would put my vote for mechanical failure of the needle mechanism over circuit failure.

Brings a new meaning to tunnel run! i bet you have a playstation controller in the car as well