Car for the winter

Tay

I've noted a few people on the forum have said that the Z is going to be a nightmare in the winter if it snows so....

I'm thinking about getting a landrover discovery for a few months, maybe even do some off roading as i live in the sticks.

I've seen a few on fleabay that are mot'd for the next 8 months or so but are high mileage. (it's what i expect as I want change from a grand).

Has anyone had any experience of landrovers and should i bother?

Opinions please?

I admit they are not the most comfortable of vehicles, but as mbs says they are very tough, parts are cheap, insurance will be cheap and best of all........... get a winch so you can pull your self out of the odd ditch or snowy situation.

If I had space to keep one I would have one...... could be a right laugh :drive1:drive1:drive1

an old set of stock alloys and some decent winter tyres would be cheaper

this is a stock s2000 with just winter tyres on stock OEM wheels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCf7ssV0dNw&feature=player_embedded

winter tyres make a big difference. still have to be careful but thats the same in any car. no need to sell and buy cars, you keep your daily runner, and as soon as it clears up you put the stock rims back on.

an old set of stock alloys and some decent winter tyres would be cheaper

this is a stock s2000 with just winter tyres on stock OEM wheels

winter tyres make a big difference. still have to be careful but thats the same in any car. no need to sell and buy cars, you keep your daily runner, and as soon as it clears up you put the stock rims back on.

noted, but i'm also thinking about doing some offroading. + last year the roads were flooded allot around this time of year when the rivers burst their banks. I nearly knack'd my old car by driving through some flood water that looked deceivingly shallow :boat: is wasn't. a colleague who has a defender said a good starting point would be a discovery, just seen one with 68k on the clock for less than a grand. might go and take a look, i'm sure it won't be around for long...

my mate bought a disco for £700 when he went back to uni, it was ace! The thing was constantly overheating so we had a lot of fag breaks whenever we drove anywhere but it did the job and as a bonus meant we could go off roading on a friday when we got bored.

Yup, thats the idea but hopefully little to none of the breaking down... keep it for a few months then get rid.

Get a defender :thumbs:

:thumbdown: We use two new ones for work! The worst bit of designing and engineering i have ever come across! Shocking!!

you want an older one mate, the new ones have a ford transit engine :thumbdown:

its barn door engineering not for your comfort but for practicality mate :lol:

I wanted a car for the winter to use for going into the mountains for skiing last December.

After having a good look around i bought a Honda CRV it's fantastic :thumbs: and does everything I want it to, looked at Discos but I was warned off them so bought from the rising sun, still use it now when it rains here (which this year has been more than it should) :wacko: