road trip up north- suggestions

LRF4N

right ppl need to pick ur brians. im planning a wee road trip with the mrs up north on the september weekend, will have 4 nights so can explore a good bit of scotland

iv been to fort william for the day a few yrs back that was nice so wel have at least 1 night there and iv heard oban is nice so maybe go thru there on the way- could either stay a night or just pass thru and stop for lunch

prob also stay one night on one of the islands- maybe jura or mull

any other suggestions folks? not sure if we should stick to this area and spend more time there or branch out a bit more

any other places we should pay a visit on the way? thanks in advance

the zed prob wont go so not too bothered about good driving roads

I can send the hoon route. With 4 days you can extend to Durness EASILY.

I'm sure the others will say if it's worth doing the hoon route or not. :)

Not the biggest fan of Fort William but I enjoyed doing the Harry Potter train last year which leaves from there.

Ullapool is a great place to stay.

I've done quite a few trips there and have driven a LOT of miles in the West Highlands and have stayed in quite a few places. There are loads of hidden gems along the way too.

Corrieshalloch Gorge is worth a look

Durness for truffles and hot chocolate

Loch Inver Pie shop!

Harrods etc etc :thumbs:

cheers for that. wont be about the driving roads vik more about seeing northern scotland, all my weekend breaks have always been to cities so were thinkin more rural this time. that websites good. might do isle of skye instead.

stew didnt know the hoon went as far as that! thats quite a trip lol

cheers for that. wont be about the driving roads vik more about seeing northern scotland, all my weekend breaks have always been to cities so were thinkin more rural this time. that websites good. might do isle of skye instead.

It hasn't, so far - Ullapool was the furthest north but then last year Stew and I decided we needed some hot chocolate so Durness was visited post the Hoon :teeth:

A few years back Evo did an article about the Aston Martin Vanquish S finishing production. They had the car for 24 hours and drove from Newport Pagnell to Mallaig via Fort William to watch the sunset before driving to St Andrews for sunrise. Maybe an idea for one of your days?

colin- that sounds like a hot chocolate challenge! iv sworn by options for years and it takes a lot to beat it lol hmmmm,....... if its worth going to the north coast might have to plan my trip around that......

cmacd looks like a quality b&b but a bit too rural for me lol i was thinking wee towns n villages so i dont get too scared if i look out my window at night :lol: might check out that road tho if its along my travels

sunset is a great idea animal if not mallaig then def somewhere else :thumbs:

got too many ideas but i love the idea of highland coos beside a harrods lol

If you are going to be beside Harrods I'd recommend a trip across to Dornoch and further North Dunrobbin Castle its like I imagine a fairy tale castle to be it has beautiful gardens and birds of prey demonstrations in the grounds

Hope you enjoy your trip :D

ps the Loch Inver pie shop :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

We're doing Skye on Friday :yahoo: so will report back ;)

nice one vik ta but stew said its crap lol let me know wot u think anyway

any thoughts on ullapool and stornoway? thinkin if we go to durness then we could take a detour and see stornoway. if were gonna go to an island then wanna get a ferry trip across not a bridge lol