TLM/Abbey Motorsport 350z Castle Combe Race Report

MrLizard

Castle Combe - Race Report

Ive always liked this track, some brilliant corners and battles to be had here, i used to love watching the Touring Cars and then having a go at TOCA.

In need of a new set of rear tyres I phoned Toyo, who have helpfully decided that as everyone is in the middle of a recesion they would more than double their prices... Thanks...

So we ordered some federal semi-slick non road legal tyres, which didnt arrive in time... Thanks...

Qualifying

We almost didnt make Qualifying as the scrutineers hadnt counted on not only 42 nippon cars but 60 or so mr2's and the same number of Mazda's, still, it was a great feeling lining up in assembly next to a 42 strong grid, I had assumed that I wouldnt get a clear lap, and I was right, but everyone was in the same boat.

CastleCoombe069.jpg

Due to the lack of tyres we chose to run the wet set we have, which offered a lot of grip to be fair which is reassuring when your skipping across the track at 120mph+ through quarry..

Having got no clear laps, constantly overtaking mr2's and trying not to ruin some of the 500bhp Scoobs/Evo's laps we came back in 5th.

Car felt good but turn in was still a little sloppy so we adjusted the front suspension. The back felt excellent, really feeling the difference with the spoiler after a race without it at Snetterton.

CastleCoombe054.jpg

Race 1

After a decent getaway I had Stewart in the Blue teg coming up the inside of me but fortunately I had the line into the next left and was determined that under braking the zed would come out on top. As it turned out it was closer than I was expecting but we did hold the position. We were lapping about 0.5 to 1 second a lap quicker than Stewart who found after a few laps that he had Andy Mclennan to deal with in the mad Suzuki.

CastleCoombe029.jpg

I could see Adrian in the Subaru about 8 seconds ahead, it felt like I was catching him, I was making a marker at 2 points on the track about half way round and then judging the gap from there. I was definitely catching but not by much, not enough!

Traffic was approaching now and with no run off and back markers fighting each other for position it became troublesome to keep trying to catch Adrian.

CastleCoombe044.jpg

We eventually crossed the line in 5th, which I was happy with but I could feel there was more time in the car, and a lot to learn at this track.

Race 2

Objective: Catch and Pass that damn Subaru

On the start line I was having to concentrate in all directions, I had subarus everywhere. I wanted to try and take the inside line and to try and put myself in a position where I could out brake someone if needed into the first proper right hander or the first chicane.

This tactic paid off, but I was also helped by Martin who ran across the track to block his main rival meaning that the 4wd crew were concentrating on what was happening going backwards not me!

I was in 5th still, it was on, Adrian had got a great start, with 4 Subaru's in front I set about trying to bring something back for the lone 350z on the grid.

CastleCoombe090.jpg

I was catching slowly again I could see it, just as I was getting closer though he decided to put his foot down, flying round the track I saw a black flag with someones number on it, ignoring that we carry on, we hit traffic again but this time its closer, im lapping quicker having decided to alter my gear changes and which gear to pull round the second corner. I could see the Subaru was really struggling through the first right hander after quarry so I was hoping that ignoring what he was doing I could get a run up to the chicane and outbrake him pushing us both offline.

CastleCoombe085.jpg

In my over exuberence in trying to take the last corner well I had managed to comfortably need to start pulling 6th gear through quarry, however skipping across the track changing from 5th to 6th isnt easy with the short shift gear box, so with the excuses out of the way I put the car into reverse at 130mph going forwards... no gate to stop it anymore, no need to push down on the gear stick etc. EEEEKKK! Took the car out of gear, tried 6th, nothing, tried 5th, nothing, by this point I had coasted up to the right hander far to quickly and slammed the brakes on, after about 3 attempts I found third and that took, 4th ok, 5th ok, tried 6th whilst braking to see if it would go and it wouldnt... :(

So in order to make the time up I decided driving the nuts off the car and using as much as the curb as I could without using the grass was in order. It took another 3 laps, each time I was praying that the race wasnt going to end, just one more lap, one more lap!!! I saw my oppurtunity and decided i was having it, I dived up the inside and slammed the brakes on using all the gears I could to brake and manged to pass the subaru, i kept braking up to the apex of the corner and then floored it in third, losing the tail slightly on exit to hold the slower inside line into the next set of esses. As we were both off line I decided to take the esses slowly making for a very wide 350z and come out of the corner nailing it just at the right time, last corner, it was the last lap! chequered flag.... Hooray!

Fingers crossed that the gearbox wasnt spitting teeth out we coasted round to the end. I went to drive to back to the garage when my Mrs came running over yelling at me, evidently the black flag was for the 1st place man who had tripped the noise sensor as well as removing an MR2 from the track, so I was fighting for 3rd, not 4th... so we ended up on the winners truck and did a lap on the back of that.

CastleCoombe105.jpg

Over joyed with the result, it was a hard race like the first one at Snetterton but we managed it. Abbey Motorsport were there to support the car and it would not have been possible without them.

Thanks to:

Abbey Motorsport

UpRev

OPIE

Motordyne

Zenzero IT

Total Nissan

Abbey stuck their biscuit munching faces into the gearbox and report somehow there was no damage...

I obviously stamped on the clutch as soon as i realised what I did but still you would have expected it to stripped the gears... will probably either replace the quick shift or go back to standard :thumbdown:

:#3: well done and well written!

What gear shifter do you have? Mine is a bit kinky getting into 6th at times, think it needs adjusting just. If its the same try adjusting the cover plate and make sure you filed enough on the top left corner on the shift plate for reverse.

Waiting with excitement for the Vids!

Felicitations are due once again Steve and i can't wait for the videos :teeth:

Well done to the supporting cast especially Abbey for such dedication :thumbs:

You forgot to give me the heads up again mate as i was looking forwards to making CC :surrender: Anyway its my bloody fault as i ould have checked dates on the TLMS website :blush:

Next time mate, I'll be there when you nail P1 and :#1:;)