Power polishers

jimgallaher

I recently spent £XXX on detailing products to shiny up my newly purchased Zed (the numbers have been omitted on the chance the wife ever found out how much I'd spent !) I got some Dodo juice supernatural, Lime prime, Meguiars clay kit, Supernatural shampoo, lambswool wash mitt, MF cloths and some other bits and bobs, but on impulse I also bought a Kestrel DAS-6 with the megs polishing kit. I was talking to a friend who owns a Subaru STi and he kinda put me off using Kestrel, all sorts of scary stories of paint burn etc basically he sez Japanese paint is too soft for a newbie power polisher to be let loose on :wacko:

Anyone got any advice, experiences or general hints or tips to get the best from this piece of kit, or should I as my friend suggested, stick it on Ebay and pay an expert to do it properly ?

Not being one to ever shy away from a challenge, I'm reluctant to go this route, but I dont wanna make a mess of my pride and joy. The car has some slight swirls, a lot of stone chips on the front grill/diffuser ? area, I'd like to get it looking even better so I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanx

it should be fine as its an orbital. if you got a rotary then i might agree, but the orbitals dont spin as fast and generate as much heat. try getting a panel from the scrappy and have a practice first if you dont feel confident

I have the Kestrel and was a bit worried after the same scare stories. After experimenting I found that thats all they are, stories!

Very easy to use and very hard to ;burn' through the paintwork, There's a vid on youtube showing how much pressure you need to use and how long you need top keep it in exactly the same place to damage the paint - and its ages.

don't worry, take it slow, and enjoy the results :thumbs: