Megs and other Silicone Products - Bad??!?

Demolition49

I just popped down to a mate of mine who happens to run a bodyshop and does awesome paint jobs and thats who hooks me up if i need bodywork done.... anyway,i mentioned i got a meguairs claybar kit and he said hmm make sure it doesnt have silicone thats terrible for the paintwork.

Just wondered, is this true and does megs wax/claybar and quick detailer contain silicone? This has put me off a bit and wanted to check with you guys before i go ahead and claybar the car for the meet at brands hatch!

I just popped down to a mate of mine who happens to run a bodyshop and does awesome paint jobs and thats who hooks me up if i need bodywork done.... anyway,i mentioned i got a meguairs claybar kit and he said hmm make sure it doesnt have silicone thats terrible for the paintwork.

Just wondered, is this true and does megs wax/claybar and quick detailer contain silicone? This has put me off a bit and wanted to check with you guys before i go ahead and claybar the car for the meet at brands hatch!

Never heard that one before, used both with no issue!

Were you going to use the QD to float the Clay?

the only products i know that use silicone are things like waxes and these are usually found in products by people like turtlewax.

check the megs website out, should be able to answer your question, or if not, at least give you an email address to ask someone who works there.

AFAIK, silicone is not bad for paint, and the only things it is used for is in polish (maybe wax), as (a) it helps it spread and (B) it helps hide swirls/RIDs. The reason many detailers say stay away from polish with silicone is for the swirl hiding effect, as you think you may have corrected the swirls, only to find they come back when the silicone finally gets washed away. True detailers will use silicone free polish so they can know the swirls have really gone. For the amateur at home without all the proper kit, and especially when applying it by hand - polish containing silicone (like Megs SRP) will give you a better finish.

A bit of a read, but this answers your question - direct form the Megs site (See below quote).

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=General%20Questions&faqQuestionID=19&section=_19

Are products that contain silicone bad for my car's finish?

No. In fact, automotive paints worldwide contain silicone as an ingredient to help the paint to spray and flow more smoothly.

Most of the concerns people have about silicones and products that contain silicones stem from the problems associated with them in the early 1950's. Back then, 40 and 50 years ago, if the surface wasn’t properly prepared, residual silicones on the surface or in the shop environment, could cause surface adhesion problems. The most common among them is a defect referred to Fish Eyes in the paint.

Fish Eyes are a small, circular craters that appear in the finish where the paint piles up in a circle surrounding a point on the surface that contains some type of contaminant that creates high surface tension, usually some type of wax, grease or silicone. The reason freshly sprayed paint does this is because contaminants like wax and silicone tend to create high surface tension and do not allow the freshly applied paint to stick or adhere properly. Instead of laying down flat over the top of these contaminants, the paint moves away from these contaminants, forming a ring around them that has the visual appearance of what is historically described as a "fish eye".

Knowledge of chemistry, as well as most other technologies have evolved and grown substantially since the 1950's (just look at modern cars and personal computers as two very visible, common examples of how technology has progressed). The problems painters encountered 50 years ago are more easily addressed with today's modern paint prepping chemicals, shop environments, paint additives, and most importantly, education. Back in the 1950's, there were no formal training programs available for young men and women entering the automotive repair industry. Most of the time, a person would start out at the bottom, sweeping and cleaning up, and slowly move up the ladder through knowledge gained by on-the-job training. Today there are hundreds of certified schools that specialize in formal education for the automotive industry. This includes paint manufacturers, who provide in-depth training for anyone who uses their paint systems.

Most professionals in the refinishing industry understand that a majority of the paintwork they do, day-in and day-out, is on cars that have been waxed using products that contain both wax and silicone.

Professionals in the body shop industry always perform the necessary preparation work required to insure that "fish eyes" are not a problem. This includes using special degreasers, wax and silicone removers that effectively remove these substances from the surface or chemically alter their molecular structure in such a way to insure they pose no problems. If there is ever any question or doubt about the surface to which new paint is going to be applied, painters will include a Fish Eye Eliminator into the paint, which insures a finish free from fish eyes. Interestingly enough, Fish Eye Eliminator is typically a special silicone additive.

There are many kinds of silicones available for use in car care products, the one thing all silicones have in common is they are completely inert. This means they do not react in either a negative or a positive manner with any substance they come into contact with, including your car's paint.

Silicones are primarily used to modify or enhance a specific characteristic of another ingredient in a Meguiar's formula. If the silicones Meguiar's relies on didn't offer some type of positive benefit to the product, or the end-user and the results they are trying to achieve, Meguiar's wouldn't include them in their formulas.

For example: The use of some types of silicone in a formula acts to make the product easier to both spread and wipe-off, thus reducing the effort required to apply and remove the product, which then helps to reduce the potential for application or wipe-off inflicted scratches. That’s a benefit to you.

Meguiar's has been the leader in creating paintable, body shop safe products because of our history and continuing leadership in creating state-of-the-art formulas for use by new car manufacturers as well as the collision repair and custom painting industries. Because of our expertise in creating wax and silicone-free products for fresh paint environments, you will find many of our paint cleaners and polishes are paintable and body shop safe.

Because Meguiar's is a major supplier to the automotive finishing industry, both to OEM (factory level) and the re-finishing industry (collision repair, body shops and custom paint shops), Meguiar's can offer you a complete selection of paintable products including at least one polish that contains a paintable polymer for increased protection.

The fear and confusion surrounding this single ingredient, silicone, is an ongoing problem people run into when they get caught up in the hype and misinformation spread from person to person, generation to generation and now-a-days, on the internet, which exaggerates the problems surrounding the use of silicones in car care products.

There are some sources that even go so far to say that silicones are harmful to paint. This is not only dishonest; it calls into question the credibility of that resource and any and all claims they make. Silicone is inert. It cannot harm paint, let alone anything else it is formulated into, or sitting on top of, especially in the form of a coating of wax.

Car body sprayers dont like silicone because it makes it more difficult for them to respray panels. In other words it takes more work to prep the relevant panels prior to painting if they have had silicone based products used on them ;)

A top Mercedes-Benz local bodyshop told me this. :)

Car body sprayers dont like silicone because it makes it more difficult for them to respray panels. In other words it takes more work to prep the relevant panels prior to painting if they have had silicone based products used on them ;)

That IMO is what they were getting at. But any sprayer/bodyshop worth their salt should prep the car properly as they dont know whats on the paint, so should strip it all back regardless ;)

That IMO is what they were getting at. But any sprayer/bodyshop worth their salt should prep the car properly as they dont know whats on the paint, so should strip it all back regardless ;)

I am sure they do Chris. I think it more of an issue when they are feathering into other panels that dont need painting but are doing so to get the best paint match ;)

But if you are using a paint shop not worth their salt then it will be an issue :lol:

As has been said (as told by a number of body shops) silicon is not bad for paint or the car at all. If anything, it helps with the look and shine. The issue is when paint work needs to be done as it is a pain to deal with when it has got into the paint itself. It causes prep and matching issues.

Hence, I now use Poorboys and CG products with no silicon in. :)

As has been said (as told by a number of body shops) silicon is not bad for paint or the car at all. If anything, it helps with the look and shine. The issue is when paint work needs to be done as it is a pain to deal with when it has got into the paint itself. It causes prep and matching issues.

Hence, I now use Poorboys and CG products with no silicon in. :)

+1 I was told the same thing by a sprayer that he hated doing cars with the spray on tyre dressing as I always gets everywhere and it's a basterd to get off! He hates it with a passion

Just finished getting the outside ready for the meet at brands hatch! i spent from 6.30 pm till 11.30pm and still didnt have time to do the engine bay! :scare: a bit annoyed because my weekend was so cramped! :angry: ah well atleast the inside and out look tidy!

Cant wait for tomorrow! :clap::yahoo:

Loads of Z's! going to be awesome along the m25 ... zoom zoom zoom WTF how many 350z's