I've started clicking

ATTAK Z

Summer's here and my exhaust is quite loud now so I've started driving with the window down ............. and after 72,000 miles the clicking has started ........ I thought I'd got away with it but no .... 'spose I'll get it fixed if it gets too bad .....but one technical question please

what causes the clicking ?

most likely the CV joints.

if you have the passenger window down and drivers side up can you still hear it.

if you only hear it with drivers side down and passenger up then its the drivers rear side.

is it only on pull away at low speeds if so its rear cv joints.

if its on braking i think its the drop links.

cheap fix is a re grease and rotate parts for one side are about 50 squid i think. complete new cv joint is over 200. thats one side only. if its both sides, unlikely though then double those costs.

so what causes the clicking ?

a small cricket?

there is a cog assembly on the shaft of the CV joint, my guess is something to do with that. and the lack of grease, what ever is menat ot touch on it, instead of being kept quiet by grease is now audible due to no grease.

not really rich but thanks anyway .... as you know I don't work on cars myself but I am technical and would like to understand what causes the clicking .... all the duff CVs that I've known in the past have clunked rather than clicked (the original mini was terrible for it) and they've all been FWD ... and worst when under acceleration and going round corners ......the clicking sound is new to me so I would like to know how it is caused

Vik ...sorry if I'm boring you lol

not really rich but thanks anyway .... as you know I don't work on cars myself but I am technical and would like to understand what causes the clicking .... all the duff CVs that I've known in the past have clunked rather than clicked (the original mini was terrible for it) and they've all been FWD ... and worst when under acceleration and going round corners ......the clicking sound is new to me so I would like to know how it is caused

the clicking fairy ;):lol:

zed only seem to do it on pull away, as far as i can tell it doesn't on corners and its not permanent.

to be honest i'd need to see a picture of all the bits and the assembly and i'd be more likely to diagnose the exact area.

if i had the bits in my hand i'd probably be able to point to it straight away. :shrug:

the clicking fairy ;):lol:

zed only seem to do it on pull away, as far as i can tell it doesn't on corners and its not permanent.

to be honest i'd need to see a picture of all the bits and the assembly and i'd be more likely to diagnose the exact area.

if i had the bits in my hand i'd probably be able to point to it straight away. :shrug:

me too but we haven't so I'll wait til someone comes along who knows

:bang::ban:

Does anyone have a gun handy I'd like to put myself down :lol:

You are advised to look away now or turn off your computer .... this could get messy lol

click.....click.....click.....click.....click.....click.....click.....click.....click.....click.....