rtbiscuits new ICE

rtbiscuit

First off a really big thanks must go to Husky, met up today at Subzero's for a secret mission, and as we had some time spare afterwards he helped me finish off the last of my ICE install.

I had already done most of the soldering and wiring set-up but was being a bit of a chicken with the actual plug in bit.

I'd also like to say a big thanks to Sobrien and Rob quads as both of their ICE guides have helped me do the wiring.

sobriens guide: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19787

rob quads guide: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16403

also used this: but still have some issues so need to have another read: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32337&hilit=steering+wheel+controls

and last but not least i need to thank Yokomo; who has helped behind the scenes with cabling issues and just generally givein encouragement via PM.

I Bought the JVC EXAD 7'' KW-AVX810 MULTIMEDIA CENTRE, i got it 2nd hand off ebay for a very good price. and the unit is in excellent condition. it offers loads of options and expandability. paid £250 inc P+P for it.

i currently already run the Pioneer Avic F500BT as a satnav in my cubby and thought that this unit would compliment it well. for one simple reason, i can remove the front off the headunit and i can remove the sat nav; both in about 5 seconds.

so for the pics; as we all know thats all you lot are interested in.

the car centre console with all removed

P1010275.jpg

the connectors in the cubby for the satnav

P1010276.jpg

the pioneer unit

P1010277.jpg

P1010278.jpg

the JVC front

P1010279.jpg

P1010280.jpg

some of the start up screens

P1010281.jpg

with the nav running

P1010282-1.jpg

with video; my favourite comedy film :lol:

P1010283-1.jpg

as it shows its also got an SD card on the front

P1010284-1.jpg

haven't had a proper play yet, have learnt a few things but need to use it for a bit to get my full review done so i will come back and update.

Problems:

had an issue with the incartec steering control unit; which currently means i have no steering wheel control. :blush: will go back and re look at this.

Things to finish:

still got all the extender cables under the gear shift surround. we ran out of time but all i need to do is wire up the reverse camera. put the USB connector in the arm rest. buy a portable Hard drive. put the video in cables to the passenger cubby. along with my video out.

might only be a headunit change, but the sound quality is so much crisper :teeth:

OK understand the set up now :thumbs::thumbs:

could you of not gone for a higher pionner model that does both things together ?

i didn't want the satnav in the double din slot, its too low down to view. wanted it in the cubby as its the best place for it. hence 2 systems and not 1.

also i can have 2 things running at the same time. if i eventually get and OBDII system put in, i can have satanv and dials both on at the same time.

well done! how do you transport these things when not using them in the car? B)

the JVC had a neoprene case for its front, but i didn't get it with the purchase. so i shall go into the textile lab at work and knock one up for both uinits

a bit like a back to back double case.

as for storage they could be put in the rear cubby and locked in or put in your bag when you leave.

i carry a very large laptop case for work big enough for marking and laptops :lol: or if i'm visiting friends i'm usually staying the night so they'll go in my overnight bag.

well done! how do you transport these things when not using them in the car? B)

the JVC had a neoprene case for its front, but i didn't get it with the purchase. so i shall go into the textile lab at work and knock one up for both uinits

a bit like a back to back double case. sounds sweet, would want to see pics of that! :thumbs:

as for storage they could be put in the rear cubby and locked in or put in your bag when you leave.

i carry a very large laptop case for work big enough for marking and laptops :lol: or if i'm visiting friends i'm usually staying the night so they'll go in my overnight bag.

as for the storage 'problem' you seem to have that sorted :thumbs: well thought through!

nice work , looks like you managed to get the unit to flip without trimming the surround either which is good. mines got loooads trimmed off the top.

didn't trim anything off the top edge, mine catches slightly sometimes but other times it doesn't, the more i use it the more it seems to have found its best resting place.

i'll see how it goes and i might trim some off if its needed.