Porsche 996 Carrera

350zStephen

Leaky diffs. Porsche can check the engine and see if it's been raced or not. If buying one go for the c4s or s model with the wide body.

I didn't enjoy driving my bros as much as the zed, very cramped and steering wheel is in a weird position(probably adjustable). Definately turns heads but really it's down to the engine noise, Porsche sports exhaust sounds amazing. It's starting to get common because the price has come down(and alot look the same even the older models).

I would get the later model with the 3.6 not the 3.4 litres with the newer headlights. They made alot of changes.

They all suffer from leaking rear main seals and the engines are prone to shedding the nikasil lining which can be fatal naturally. Early Boxsters have the same problems. They are nowhere near as bulletproof as the 993's, which would be my choice. Last of the aircooled, and hence are appreciating.

The 996 interiors are a bit poor too. They used really bad quality plastic by comparison to earlier models.

There are alot of crappy ones around too, really need to be careful. Having said that find a good one and they are flying machines.

The odd driving position is down to the them being made for LHD drive first and Porsche are notoriously bad a converting their cars to RHD, but they don't have the weird hinged Beetle pedals from the air cooled ones.

And yes, I was considering one very strongly but got a Z. Think I might have a 993 next though.

Bradders.

Buy a post 2002 one as has already been stated (with the newer headlights) but prepare for big bills.

A lot of work requires the engine to be pulled and quite a large number of the first 996s had reliability issues due to swapping to water cooling.