Snow socks

Zugara

Evening mate, ive owned my car about 6 months lol Ive had all the bad weather and not much sun. :thumbdown: I found turning the esp off and going really carefull with the throttle the best option. This is my first rear wheel driver car and it was a nightmare but touch wood I got through it and I used the car everyday no matter how deep the snow was :thumbs:

The best option would be thinner wheels and tyres :teeth:

Alex

It's probably nice to have something like that in the garage or boot as an added security (of mind mostly) but you'll be best off with a set of good winter tyres which are as narrow as possible. Winter tyres will give you much better traction and knowing how long (or short) an actual winter in the UK lasts, you will be able to use them for at least 2 seasons. Unless there are some proper Alpine steep roads where you live or drive I personally wouldn't bother with these socks as winter shoes for any car will do the job.

I find it quite surprising actually that most UK drivers always fit summer tyres, regardless of time of the year. I know we don't have really bad winters but in cold/icy mornings/little snow conditions even all-season tyres are better than summer ones. Summer, high performance tyres are made of a much softer compound than winter or all-season ones and start losing their characteristics below around 8 degrees C, as well as are more prone to damaging by pot holes, curbs and such.

Thats probably why 2inches of snow is enough to put the country to a near stand still and have the national guard on standby :lol:

aus

not everyone can afford to have spare wheels for winter, or in some cases dont have the space to store them.

i'd possibly have a look at these. in the autumn ready for the winter.

my only concern is how will they cope with going from snow to tarmac,

because we grit we get an uneven covering. i'm guessing these will get shredded on tarmac.

they shouldn't bother gritting. and make it legal to carry snow chains.

not everyone can afford to have spare wheels for winter, or in some cases dont have the space to store them.

I understand but don't think that should be the reason for compromised handling and safety. Zed is a performance car after all and i doubt low running costs was the reason anyone ever bought one. Personally I would rather spend £600-£800 on a set of tyres which will last 2-3 seasons than suddenly find myself in a ditch/lamp post/bus stop or back of another car just because I wanted to save some cash for a new spoiler or fancy ICE. Not to mention if a situation like that happened the result would most probably be the opposite due to insurance excess or premium rising.