Electrical nightmare!

Gervais

Was driving home last night, and when i stopped at traffic lights I noticed the full beam indicator was on but full beam wasn't on. Rear wiper was also constantly going and there was no indication on the dash that my head lights were on but they were :wacko:

I then pulled into a car park and noticed the following issues:

Headlights would come on with the ignition even though the switch was off in the car.

Indicators when put on would flash a tiny bit and stop (nothjing showing up on the dash)

Rear wiper continued going on its own even though it was off

with the car turned off, when locked / unlocked the rear wiper moved depending on how many flashes the indicators made.

Then when driving home the indicators wouldnt flash at all. I had my headlight switch off all the way but the headlights were on the whole time.

Then after 5 mins it went back to normal and was fine on the way to/from football today :wacko:

Car is going back in saturday, to have the communication of some modules looked at for the alarm. Any ideas what this could be so I can give them some sort of idea where to look (we know what dealers can be like) Dodgy earth/CAN-BUS? Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Gervais

At first I thought it had to be software problems with all of those strange happenings, given that the car computer appears to take the signal from all switches as “inputs†to the computer from which it then turns on the relevant output, be it indicators or headlights etc. However if everything went back to normal again then it couldn’t be a software corruption.

With my limited knowledge of modern day electronics I do know that any unused input to a computer should not be “floating†(must be connceted) as electrical noise in the engine will be seen by the computer as an input and can cause such spurious events. Even legitimate inputs, which for some reason are not making contact in their plug/socket/other (poss loose plug/socket) will be subject to the same noise problems.

Poor earthing around the computer can also have a similar effect. I know this isn’t of much help as you probably (like me) have no idea where all the relevant plugs and sockets are but I’m sure the garage should be able to find them and give them a wiggle to try to recreate the fault. GOOD LUCK :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies guys will try and have a look at the earthing points etc to see if I can see anything, will also try to see if I can see watermarks or anything around anything electrical.

Failing that I will tell Nissan when it goes in on saturday and will update this thread once I have a conclusion just in case someone else has the same issue at somepoint :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies guys will try and have a look at the earthing points etc to see if I can see anything, will also try to see if I can see watermarks or anything around anything electrical.

Failing that I will tell Nissan when it goes in on saturday and will update this thread once I have a conclusion just in case someone else has the same issue at somepoint :thumbs:

unplug connectors and look for signs of green, thats the tell tale sign