Please help with front suspension rattle...

kazman

Hi all

First off, I have done 100's of searches and so I am aware of likely candidates for what may be causing this rattle, however, I want to know if my problem is likely to be down to one of the typical things or several. I will therefore give us much detail as possible.

I have a front rattle from the passengers side when driving over poor quality road surfaces at speeds up to about 40mph. I also think the steering is less precise than it should be, it does not feel very weighty around the centre of the steering which does not inspire much confidence on straight roads.

I have also recently noticed that when dry steering (I know this is bad practice but I am only doing it on gravel) that if I apply some left lock to the steering wheel and then release it so it snaps back to centre, I hear a knock through the steering wheel. This is far less prominent and possibly not there at all if I turn the wheel to the right and release it. There are no clunk sounds through the steering wheel when the car is moving.

I have had the car aligned 3 times, twice by one garage and once by another. Each time the alignment results have been different before the alignment than they were after, making me wonder if something is causing the car to not hold it's alignment.

I would have expected a tie rod issue to be picked up be one of the garages that performed the alignment, and when I shook the wheels at the 3 and 9 position I could not feel any obvious play.

So what is likely to cause all the issues I have described? Worn ball joints in the compression rods and or lower arms? I'm guessing drop links would not cause the knock when releasing the steering wheel but please correct me if I am wrong. My car is a 55 so I'm guessing the upper control arms do not require tightening but if it could be the cause I will have a go at them tomorrow.

I will be booking in to a garage for investigation but the more ammo i am armed with the better!

Apologies for the long post but this issue is really doing my head in!

Thanks guys.

Thanks again

I expect your right about the banana bar, just was not sure if that could cause the pop when the wheel springs back to centre also. Guess it might depend on how worn it is.

I should add the pop sound when dry steering occurs no matter how far I turn the wheel to the left before releasing it ie it does not seem to be a particular area in the steering range. It does only seem to do it when releasing the wheel from a left hand down position though.

I think this banana bar rattle is a big problem because it's very difficult to diagnose (or so I'm told) with the car off the ground. I found that riding the brake with the left foot stopped the rattle. Still don't know about the steering though ......... I never tried what you suggest