Remove red lip on Rota GTRs

captain

How easy is it to paint this lip?

I've been offered a set of 19" GTRs in flat black with red lip but don't want the lip. Vendor says "all you do is key, mask and paint" the lip but I wouldn't know where to start.

Can I have answers from people that have done this or something similar. How much would I expect to pay a paint shop for this if DIY is too difficult?

Thanks. :thumbs:

You could key, mask and paint, but the finish wont be anywhere near as durable as a proper powdercoated finish, and you may not get a colour match. Personally, I would spend an extra couple of hundred quid (or less) getting them powdercoated professionally, but then they might not appear as good a deal. From what I've learnt modifying my Zed, what might seem a simple DIY when painting/trimming/etc, you are quickly dissapointed in your own work when it starts to flake/fade etc as its not a professional job no matter how good it looks to start with. Thats my unbias view of it :thumbs:

Yeah, get the whole wheel done, if you really want to get rid of the lip. Its just my personal opinion of having stuff like that done before, I would get the whole thing done, otherwise the finish just isnt up to the abuse that wheels take. I had my wheels wet painted before and it didnt take long for stone chips to get in and the paint started flaking off, and its gutting when it happens as you litterally just threw money away. Got them PC'd and the finish is much harder wearing. What I would be cautious of is saving a couple of hundred quid now, and end up spending it later. Another thing to watch is that the finish on Rotas in general isnt the greatest wearing, mine have lasted way way better since my local wheel place PC'd them :thumbs:

Why are you wanting to get rid or the red lip? most people pay to have this put on. A black wheel with a different lip colour helps break up the wheel and tire. Are you going all black?

And in response to your question. If you want to DIY, then it is a simple as people have said. Key, mask, point and spray. If not then you will be looking at 50 quid a corner :thumbs:

:D

As much as I'm loving the funnies, any useful help would be, er.......useful. :thumbs:

Ok...ok...just paint the whole wheels red :lol::lol::lol:

Get me some Tenna Ladies, I'm pissing myself. :blush::blush:

Now will all you budding Tommy Coopers **** off and let me talk to nice chaps who have painted their lips. Like these two. :)

Mick-Jagger-Keith-Richards--36033.jpg

Why are you wanting to get rid or the red lip? most people pay to have this put on. A black wheel with a different lip colour helps break up the wheel and tire. Are you going all black?

And in response to your question. If you want to DIY, then it is a simple as people have said. Key, mask, point and spray. If not then you will be looking at 50 quid a corner :thumbs:

Thanks Woody.

I like the red lip - not sure it's going to work on Sunset with a black/orange Nismo N1 and (possibly) black handles. :thumbs:

Thanks Woody.

I like the red lip - not sure it's going to work on Sunset with a black/orange Nismo N1 and (possibly) black handles. :thumbs:

One quick way to find out would be a photoshop of them on your car. I think it will work, but thats my opinion. You may not like it :thumbs:

Thanks Woody.

One quick way to find out would be a photoshop of them on your car. I think it will work, but thats my opinion. You may not like it :thumbs:

Already done it on Rare Rims. You can put any rim on a piccie of your own car. That's why I don't really (like REALLY) like it. It's an 8.5 out of 10 with the red lip. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I was just looking in to how much it would be to get to 10/10.

That looks quite nice actually

+1 B)

Ooohh........nurse......where's my credit card. That is so near to how I want my 350 to end up. Not a fan of black side skirts but want blacked-out front, (hate Sunset bar under grille) exposed tow hook, black wheels, black/orange N1 spoiler and maybe black roof.

Thanks Ian and Woody and everybody for your help.

Thanks Pimm. I think your bloody right mate!

When do you want to play with the D1 then?

I am around Wednesday afternoon ?

That was funny meeting you at Banwell the other day AND you going through the red light :lol::lol:

Thanks Pimm. I think your bloody right mate!

When do you want to play with the D1 then?

I am around Wednesday afternoon ?

That was funny meeting you at Banwell the other day AND you going through the red light :lol::lol:

You're on. :thumbs:

Me, run a red light. Must be confusing me with another. :blush::blush: