Is this tie rod play?

kazman

Hi all

I jacked each front side of my Zed up today and held the wheel at the 9 and 3 positions and rocked it. On both sides I could see the wheel and the caliper moving in and out. Does this indicate play in the tie rods or would you always see this movement? I was pusing at 9 at the same time as pulling at 3 if you see what I mean.

Clearly I am no expert, so if anyone could tell me what symptoms I should be looking for during this test it would be much appreciated. The fact it did it at either side suggested to me that it's normal but I suppose the could both be knackered!

Thanks!

Hi all

I jacked each front side of my Zed up today and held the wheel at the 9 and 3 positions and rocked it. On both sides I could see the wheel and the caliper moving in and out. Does this indicate play in the tie rods or would you always see this movement? I was pusing at 9 at the same time as pulling at 3 if you see what I mean.

Clearly I am no expert, so if anyone could tell me what symptoms I should be looking for during this test it would be much appreciated. The fact it did it at either side suggested to me that it's normal but I suppose the could both be knackered!

Thanks!

There should be no movement.

Are you sure that it was not the steering that you were moving when pushing and pulling at 9 and 3 ?

Get some one to help you check this, one to rock and the other to look for the movement.

Alex.

Thanks for the reply

It might have been, I assumed the rack would not move as one wheel was always on the ground and the engine was off - not sure if I could overcome the steering by rocking the tyre. It is a possibility though, cheers.

When you say one rocking one checking, do you mean checking the steering wheel is not moving, or checking for movement in the tie rods?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply

It might have been, I assumed the rack would not move as one wheel was always on the ground and the engine was off - not sure if I could overcome the steering by rocking the tyre. It is a possibility though, cheers.

When you say one rocking one checking, do you mean checking the steering wheel is not moving, or checking for movement in the tie rods?

Thanks again.

Checking for movement on tie rods, steering rack or track rod ends etc.

Like you say with engine off and other wheel on ground doubt if you are moving the steering unless you have been going to the gym every night :lol: