CAI - Should I \ Shouldnt I

Glenn1981

I know this has been discussed many times and I have just sat and read so many threads on UK sites and US sites to get an opinion and make a decision, but to be hopnest it has made me even more confused and un-decided?!?!

I am starting to mod my car now and I want to go full N\A to atleast the start of Stage 3, so mainly just the small bits to gain a little HP and Torque and a better niose. Mainly though power gain and feel of the car is of most importance to me.

I currently have a CAI that has been sitting in my garage for longer than I would care to tell you, it is very nice, bright red and will add engine bay bling and I am sure a nice growl. The reson I bought this was because I got a good price and because I had been reading about the heat soak problems with pop chargers, but now all I read about is Hydrolock issues with the CAI

So should I :

* Fit the CAI as Hydrolock is very unlikely and enjoy the sound and small power gain from pure cold air

* Sell the CAI and buy a short ram, JWT or Stillen et al and enjoy the sound, have the heat soak, but not have the worry of hydrolock - do they make a good short ram now a days that has a good enough design that has no heat soak issues?

* Keep the OEM box, drop in a performance panel filter, not have the nice sound, but not worry about heatsoak or hydro lock, but probably gain a little power as some say this is the best route for N\A tuning?

Answers and for and against opinions greatly appreciated, I know this has been dicussed alot, so I apologise again.

Thanks

seems you have summed up each options pros and cons really well tbh. this looks like such a personal choice you have to make yourself. you do at the top however say this;

Mainly though power gain and feel of the car is of most importance to me

in that case the choice is simple, the panel filter.

Regarding the worries about Hydrolocking, My golf had a CAI which relocated the filter behind the lower bumper grill.

DSC02625.JPG

Never had a problem regarding water and it was driven in all weathers. went through some deep puddles too (not at full throttle of course :lol: ) was quite low on coilovers aswell.

I've read in a few threads that the standard airbox provides the best performance though.

seems you have summed up each options pros and cons really well tbh. this looks like such a personal choice you have to make yourself. you do at the top however say this;

Mainly though power gain and feel of the car is of most importance to me

in that case the choice is simple, the panel filter.

I was worried someone would say that!! :lol:

It is, but I will hate not having that sound that everyone goes on about.

How likely is Hydrolock with the CAI, is it really only if you drive through a flood, or can just light rain affect it, anyone know from experience/

Define by what 'you' mean as stage 3 would be the best thing.

Stage1:

Grounding Kit

Air Filter

Hoses\Locks

Engine Damper

Short Shift

Stage 2:

Cat Back Exhaust

HFC \ De Cats

Plenum Spacer

Performance Radiator

Unless your going FI i wouldnt bother with a lot of that! For your best gains N/A i would go for:

Upgraded exhaust and Y pipe, Decats/High flow cats, Intake, plenum spacer. Then Remap

with it in the wheel arch you'll only get hydolock if you go through enough water like a flood.

if its the AEM CAI i also think they have a valve in them to reduce the chance of hydo lock

I actually dont know what make it is, I bought it off of ZMANALEX a long time ago I think he said it was a custom one that he used on his cars. I will PM him and ask, but it looks very similar to the AEM one.

Define by what 'you' mean as stage 3 would be the best thing.

Stage1:

Grounding Kit

Air Filter

Hoses\Locks

Engine Damper

Short Shift

Stage 2:

Cat Back Exhaust

HFC \ De Cats

Plenum Spacer

Performance Radiator

Unless your going FI i wouldnt bother with a lot of that! For your best gains N/A i would go for:

Upgraded exhaust and Y pipe, Decats/High flow cats, Intake, plenum spacer. Then Remap

I had been wondering if I needed everything, I have just been reading guides on what to do in each stage and these are what is recommended, btu I did wonder if I needed all of it.

Good answer thanks.

by "intake" I guess you mean CAI\Popcharger

with it in the wheel arch you'll only get hydolock if you go through enough water like a flood.

if its the AEM CAI i also think they have a valve in them to reduce the chance of hydo lock

I actually dont know what make it is, I bought it off of ZMANALEX a long time ago I think he said it was a custom one that he used on his cars. I will PM him and ask, but it looks very similar to the AEM one.

if its good enough for alex then it will be fine.

he knows his stuff and he wouldn't use a piece of garbage.

i'd fit it, its fairly sheltered in the wheel, arch, i wouldn't if it sat infront of the grille.

if its good enough for alex then it will be fine.

he knows his stuff and he wouldn't use a piece of garbage.

i'd fit it, its fairly sheltered in the wheel, arch, i wouldn't if it sat infront of the grille.

Oh no, if Alex supplied it then it is great kit, I am sure of that, have had lots of stuff off him in the past and always top stuff. The only thing that is stopping me is the danger of water.

Unfortunately it does go behind the grille on the Zed, not in the wheel arch.

I have just seen something called a Hydra-Shield on the US sites that might help!

Yea the intake is up to you, you already know the pros and cons of each. Ive just purchased an Injen CAI just for sound and gains, hydrolock is a worry but if your careful im sure it will be fine.

To be honest, the amount I drive the car, I doubt I will ever have the issue, and I will just make sure I avoid puddles!

get a hydra shield and it should be fine.

general spray won't be an issue, its more if you get a lump of water go up it. unlikely if you go through water as the water would need to be deep enough for a submersion to do that.

the risk is more from oncoming traffic going through water , throwing it up and you drving in to it. a hydra shield should stop that. and make it a usable system