How on earth do you get the rear discs off??

adammitch69

Tried fitting my new brakes at the weekend. Managed the fronts discs/pads no problem. However I can't for the life of me get the rear discs off. They are stuck solid. Tried hitting them with a mallet but still not moving. Do I just get a bigger mallet or is there any other way of freeing them up??

cheers

Adam

Tried fitting my new brakes at the weekend. Managed the fronts discs/pads no problem. However I can't for the life of me get the rear discs off. They are stuck solid. Tried hitting them with a mallet but still not moving. Do I just get a bigger mallet or is there any other way of freeing them up??

cheers

Adam

You need to slacken off the handbrake shoes first. There is a small plug which is removed, then slacken off the adjuster inside with a screwdriver.

Put car in gear and chock the wheels to stop movement and then jack up

Yup, stick it in gear instead.

Behind the disc, through the hole there should be a small ratchet which you need to loosen off, but its at about 11 o'clock on the hub, so you need to turn the disc to the right angle to see it. See the service manual in the guides section for details ;)