Power steering fluid problem

Lincolnbaggie

May have a slight problem with my power steering fluid and/or reservoir.

Basically, after a run my power steering fluid gets extremely hot and spits a bit out the top of my reservoir. I have got a polished reservoir fitted in place of the original plastic one and the problem only seems to appear when the polished one is fitted. Also, after a run, the steering is "juddery" when put on full left lock and moving slowly (can't think of a better word really).

I've bled the system countless times and it doesn't make any difference, but it is fine when cold.

The fluid level is fine and I'm not losing any fluid - I would assume it's an air-lock problem, but I can't seem to improve it at all. There is no bubbling or cloudiness while bleeding which indicates no air-lock, so I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Any one got any thoughts or similar problems? How hot does your fluid get?

Basically, after a run my power steering fluid gets extremely hot and spits a bit out the top of my reservoir. I have got a polished reservoir fitted in place of the original plastic one and the problem only seems to appear when the polished one is fitted. Also, after a run, the steering is "juddery" when put on full left lock and moving slowly (can't think of a better word really).

I've bled the system countless times and it doesn't make any difference, but it is fine when cold.

The fluid level is fine and I'm not losing any fluid - I would assume it's an air-lock problem, but I can't seem to improve it at all. There is no bubbling or cloudiness while bleeding which indicates no air-lock, so I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Do you have a PAS oil cooler fitted and are you using the correct fluid.

May be the PAS pump on its way out.

I have all parts available including rack if required. :thumbs:

Alex.

Do you have a PAS oil cooler fitted and are you using the correct fluid.

May be the PAS pump on its way out.

I have all parts available including rack if required. :thumbs:

Alex.

Cheers Alex.

I'm sure all UK cars have the oil cooler don't they, but not checked :blush:

Fluid is the original from new with a bit of a top-up using the correct stuff when I changed reservoirs over. I'm sure the pump is OK because if I go back to the original plastic reservoir everything seems to be fine. I'm convinced it's something to do with the polished reservoir, but I can't see why that would be :wacko:

I may just have to revert to the OEM reservoir and lose a bit of my bling but I don't really want to have to do that.

... if I go back to the original plastic reservoir everything seems to be fine. I'm convinced it's something to do with the polished reservoir, but I can't see why that would be :wacko:

I may just have to revert to the OEM reservoir and lose a bit of my bling but I don't really want to have to do that.

If it were me, I would swap back to OEM and run it for a while to make sure there isnt another problem. Also take pics of both to see if we can see any difference that may cause the problems. Cant imagine what it could be :wacko:

... if I go back to the original plastic reservoir everything seems to be fine. I'm convinced it's something to do with the polished reservoir, but I can't see why that would be :wacko:

If it were me, I would swap back to OEM and run it for a while to make sure there isnt another problem. Also take pics of both to see if we can see any difference that may cause the problems. Cant imagine what it could be :wacko:

Yeah, may have to try that. The reservoir was bought from ESR years ago and has never felt right. Phil had a look and couldn't see anything wrong but reckoned the baffle arrangement in the polished can "may" cause problems. He also commented on the high temperature of the fluid. Other people must be running the same can without problems though......

LB, has the fluid changed consistancy in the reservoir? Mine is a little tight at the moment, fine when running but a little bit of a pain when your parking!

Have you drained the whole system and then refilled?

As I have a vented bonnet I think that some water may have got in, and perhaps when I have jetwashed the engine bay!

Mines off to Abbey to get flushed out and replaced soon so will let you know the story when I have it back and what they have found.

LB, has the fluid changed consistancy in the reservoir? Mine is a little tight at the moment, fine when running but a little bit of a pain when your parking!

Have you drained the whole system and then refilled?

As I have a vented bonnet I think that some water may have got in, and perhaps when I have jetwashed the engine bay!

Mines off to Abbey to get flushed out and replaced soon so will let you know the story when I have it back and what they have found.

Fluid seems fine - 90% of it is original and hasn't changed appearance. Once this weather improves I'm going to try it with the OEM reservoir back on and see if that solves the problem - at least I'll have an idea if it's just an air-lock or something more serious......