Wheel dilema

YHTM

I have taken my Volk GTVs off as I am selling my car and want to sell them separately. Unfortunately the chrome is beginning to flake off on parts of some of the inserts. I took them in to a chrome replater today to be told that it would cost up to £300 per insert to have re-chromed! When I got off the floor the guy explained that chroming aluminium is a very difficult chroming process with loads of prep time needed. This has subsequently been backed up by another replater. Although the wheels with tyres are worth a few bob it will be pointless spending that much on them.

Basically I have two alternatives sell them as they are (you have to look closely to see the damage but I wouldn't spend big money wth the chrome flaking off) or have the insert stripped and powder coated in a matt or gloss black, which I don't think will have the same value.

Any thoughts comments????

the worst damage on this section

IMG_0009.jpg

normal view of one of the others

IMG_0005.jpg

yeah not worth much in that damamged state, i'll give you £300 to take them off you hands, but your really twisting my arm at that price, :shrug:

only kidding, a painted refurb should make no difference, but your still looking at about £200 or so to do a powder coat job.

As your in South London I can highly recommend Wicked Wheels in Crawley 01293 527 733. Not many places will work with split rims but they did a great job of my GT-S's

Love the all matt black volks but as a split I think they look better as a two-tone. They can also re chrome the lips but personally for a bit of longevity I would go for a harder wearing finish.

The guys at WW should be able to give you an idea, think your looking at about £65 to £75 a wheel for a refurb

As your in South London I can highly recommend Wicked Wheels in Crawley 01293 527 733. Not many places will work with split rims but they did a great job of my GT-S's

Love the all matt black volks but as a split I think they look better as a two-tone. They can also re chrome the lips but personally for a bit of longevity I would go for a harder wearing finish.

The guys at WW should be able to give you an idea, think your looking at about £65 to £75 a wheel for a refurb

Thanks for that :thumbs: I will give them a call tomorrow, I would prefer the 'two tone' effect. They definitely need to be harder wearing, I take them off for the winter but that still didn't prevent the chrome flaking off. The guys at the platers were very dismissive of the 'cheap Jap chroming' saying that it never lasts long - wish I'd known that when i bought them!!

Thanks for that :thumbs: I will give them a call tomorrow, I would prefer the 'two tone' effect. They definitely need to be harder wearing, I take them off for the winter but that still didn't prevent the chrome flaking off. The guys at the platers were very dismissive of the 'cheap Jap chroming' saying that it never lasts long - wish I'd known that when i bought them!!

Hmm I wouldnt say its cheap jap, its just that they use more salt here I think... made the mistake on mine of leaving them for about 3 weeks after loads of motorway and they were never right again...

You could always go phantom!!

Saw someone on my350 that had done a 2 tone effect on the spokes (if you imagine the face of the star was chrome and the sides were matt black) and he had phantomed the rims.. looked smart on a black car... Always thought these could take a bit of red in them! What colours your car?

How much are you hoping for the wheels? I really dnt kno whether you should sell as is......... so the potential buyer can refurb them in a style they like Or if you refurb them yourself and run the risk of loosing buyers as the refurb might not be to their taste.

Hard call mate :headhurt:

Well that is the next big question.

They have got Falken 452s on them which have only done about 3000 miles. 275/35 on rear and 245/35 on front - 19" all in excellent condition. Was thinking about £1500 with the wheels rechromed but obviously rechroming is out of the window now. Powder black gloss seems to be popular from the comments above - but not really sure what I should be asking for.

Yep, safe would be gloss black.

With £500 of boots I would say £1200 to £1300 in that condition would be about right.. Then the buyer needs to spend about £200 to get them tiptop to their own "style" so a set of 19" Volk GT-V's with almost new boots is a bit of a bargain!!!