Nordar Kumaritashvili crash video....

D4XNY

**WARNING**

Not for the faint hearted...........

As you may or may not of heard in the Winter Olympics opening ceremony, this young athlete was on a training run as a Luge Slider....

He was only 21, and from Georgia, and after flying down the track at speeds of more than 90mph, he left the track and slammed into a metal girder, resulting in death.

Its very sad for his family, and for the olympics.

Heres a link to the video... but be warned its not very pleasant.

http://www.examiner.com/x-15135-Global- ... s#comments

Dan

I know, you gotta be crazy crazy to do that anyway

But apparently in training already, many have been injured!

As someone already quoted "its a sport for humans, not lemmings!"

I think they pushed the boundaries a bit too much for this event....

And only now, they are now saying "maybe we should make that wall a bit higher"

Not being funny though, why would you have big steel girders right next to the track?!?!?!

Id want those bad boys to be the furthest things away!!!

Wow, as you say, he really didnt stand a chance. They said this is the fastest track in the world IIRC. Even if they didnt have high walls, they should still have some kind of safety netting to catch anyone or thing that flies off the track before hitting anything stuctural :surrender::headhurt:

As already said he never stood a chance. I know they have already had a bobsleigh competition on the track & I think also Luge & Skeleton so everything had been tested. It is very unsual for a slider to be thrown out of the track so definitely a strange accident. Got to agree that the steel girders should have some protection but if you hit them, even with some cushioning, at that speed the outcome is not going to be good.

Ouch, hopefully he died instantly, would be nasty if he lay and suffered. That was always my worst fear when I was on the flumes as a kid at my local swimming pool!

Unfortunately I don't think he did. I'm sure I've read a report that he died later in hospital

The track design etc and safety will have never thought this possible because it's almost un-heard of that it would have happened. Obviously it has and it's a horrific accident and as such surely there will now be a redesign and some protection built not only on that corner but all of them. As the athletes push themselves there's more and more chance of something like this happening. But you can't put an athlete in a competition and expect them to not push themselves.

I don't know whether it would have prevented any injury but even something like a Perspex cover (as to not cover any viewing if that's why the gap is there) would have at least meant the athlete wouldn't have hit a steel girder, he'd have been skidding down the track instead.

Ouch, hopefully he died instantly, would be nasty if he lay and suffered. That was always my worst fear when I was on the flumes as a kid at my local swimming pool!

Unfortunately I don't think he did. I'm sure I've read a report that he died later in hospital

The track design etc and safety will have never thought this possible because it's almost un-heard of that it would have happened. Obviously it has and it's a horrific accident and as such surely there will now be a redesign and some protection built not only on that corner but all of them. As the athletes push themselves there's more and more chance of something like this happening. But you can't put an athlete in a competition and expect them to not push themselves.

I don't know whether it would have prevented any injury but even something like a Perspex cover (as to not cover any viewing if that's why the gap is there) would have at least meant the athlete wouldn't have hit a steel girder, he'd have been skidding down the track instead.

agreed a perspex cover is all it needed, they expect to go skidding on thier arse down it if the have an off, not come out the track. if i were the other competitors i wouldnt be able to race :surrender: