Any plumbers in the house?

nixy

hi nixy, yeah definatly sounds like spilled oil from when he primed it, he shold have caught it in a pot or dish or something. make sure there isnt a leak on the oil feed into the boiler where pulled it apart to seal it and if not you really do need to find where he spilled it or the smell isnt going away! make sure to keep any pets out of there aswell if you have any, hope this helps

Well here's the problem in terms of getting to the cause........

He took the red cover thing off and did something in there but i'm not sure i want to mess with that......or even what to look for! There is a big screw on top of it so i presume its that bit i need to undo? The boiler is all the way to the floor you cannot get a finger under it so if there's oil under it i'm screwed........starting to wish i'd settled for being cold now! :lol:

GetAttachmentaspx3.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx5.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx2.jpg

From the pics it looks like the easiest way is to take the kitchen unit carcass out. This is a job for a joiner or a kitchen fitter or you could try diy.

1. remove the plinth ..... that may give you better access to the mess. If you still can't get to it

2. Take the doors off and look for screws inside the unit up into the worktop and to the adjoining unit (these might be concealed by the hinges. You should ten be able to slide the carcass towards you and out so that you've got access all round the boiler.

3. Mop up and re-assemble

Hope this helps

Oh I see you have removed the plinth so start at 2

oh no, do you really think i have to do that? I had that bit made bespoke to fit the boiler - I think it would be a nightmare to get out....I might just buy a skunk to mask the smell!

Can you contact the guy who made/fitted the unit ? He'll maybe remember how he did it. If not have you got a friendly joiner in the village ? You definitely need a joiner NOT a plumber

I can get my arms in either side of the boiler just not under it so I might try a really strong chemical there first! Just need to check there isn't a leak which i presume means taking the red cover off.

Can't advise on the plumbing aspect I'm afraid, but it looks like the floor tiling is at a slightly higher level than the floor under the boiler ..... if this is so, the the oil may have spread to the area each side of the boiler and a lot of it could be mopped up without taking out the unit ....... try that and then re-assess before going further .... I doubt the boiler will be leaking oil otherwise you'd see it by now .......... could do with a photo under the bottom shelf with some better lighting