Any plumbers in the house?

nixy

After being rescued just over a week ago when i ran out of oil and the boiler needed re-priming, the smell of oil in my kitchen has been unreal! It was a friend of my son's who is a plumber that came and did it for me and I sent him a text to say the smell was so bad and was he sure it was ok. He said quite a bit of oil came out and yes it does smell a bit..................... I can't SEE any oil around the boiler but it's really tucked away and hard to get to, especially if it's leaked underneath. It's been over a week now and it STILL pongs. Anything i leave in the kitchen smells of oil! I've looked on the web and the only advice i can find is to put fresh ground coffee near the boiler to apsorb the smell! It's really making me fed up now! I don't want to hassle the lad that did it for me as he basically did me a favour in getting the boiler going again and is very busy! Anyone got a clue?

First off Nixy -don't bother getting a plumber to fix an oil boiler! Most gas fitters have rarely serviced one, let alone a plumber.

I ended up fixing ours single handedly, including new fuel pump, fan, and control relay. If some oil has been spilled underneath, it will pong for ages afterwards, so first thing you need to do is make sure as much as possible is mopped up. Get rags and newspaper in all the nooks and crannies, and underneath too. Better get the flashlight out and check for any new drips too!

yeah i think he's been a bit cack handed and leaked quite a bit out when he was re-priming the oil. Been a typical lad he just let it go on the floor and then dabbed it with a rag........there shouldn't be a problem with the boiler its only about 18 months old and is a worcester bosch. I can't see under the boiler or anything - you know with an oil one they are quite a big floor standing appliance and its also fitted into the kitchen units so there's not much room to manouvre other than get the front off. I will try stuffing the underneath etc though, good idea.

yeah, ours looks like a big white box in the kitchen with no gap underneath. Best thing to do is take the front off, it'll probably just be a metal frame with stuff mounted in it. In ours you can see the floor though the bottom of it, so get in there with the rags.

Problem is heating oil won't evaporate so if you can't get to mop it up, the smell will be there for a long time. You might have to get your son's mate back to dismantle the boiler casing so you can get in there and give it a good clean yourself.

I realise that it's too late for Nixy but the rule of thumb is:

Domestic oil fired appliances should be located in a dedicated ventilated plant room, or the garage or as a last resort, the utility room :)

never in a kitchen or a habitable room :angry:

I realise that it's too late for Nixy but the rule of thumb is:

Domestic oil fired appliances should be located in a dedicated ventilated plant room, or the garage or as a last resort, the utility room :)

never in a kitchen or a habitable room :angry:

Bit difficult when you have an oil-fired Aga - bit of a pain to have to stand in the garage to cook tea :wacko:

Good point though. You can get little storage containers and keep them outdoors now. Wish I had! Got up this morning and YUK......... hopefully i'll be able to investigate it a bit further in a few days and try to get rid of it! I have the kitchen windows on the latch permanently.

Bit difficult when you have an oil-fired Aga - bit of a pain to have to stand in the garage to cook tea :wacko:

Good point, well put .............Never thought of that one :blush:

It's about 15 years since I specced an oil fired Aga lol