Help please - how to remove glue?

marzman

Hi,

The last outstanding task to do before im happy to sell my car is to re-finish the interior transmission tunnel.

This was covered in carbon cloth but it didnt look good, and R35LEE cant find a replacement... so im stripping it and repainting.

Does anyone know of a solvent or anything that will remove this glue/contact adhesive residue?? Will brake cleaner do it??

724e477d.jpg

depends on what the adhesive is.

when you say carbon cloth i take it your not talking about the 3m dry carbon look niloc vinyl. if it is then it comes off with white spirit, lighter fluid, or meths.

but if your going to spray it, why not just sand it back.

Contact Adhesive? tricky - you can get Contact Adhesive remover from places like B&Q - but its a problem as the material underneath is plastic so will probably melt it anyway!

I would'nt bother removing it I would get some very thin material and glue it on the top - probably a lot less trouble - you use spray on adhesive for that one? :thumbs:

Cheers all..

I used white spirit in the end... but im not sure how it has turned out... it removed most of the gunk, but has left a slimy/sticky finish to it finish to it so i dont know if its melting the plastic too.

Its in the bath with hot water and fairy liquid at the moment so we'll see... :shrug:

Cheers all..

I used white spirit in the end... but im not sure how it has turned out... it removed most of the gunk, but has left a slimy/sticky finish to it finish to it so i dont know if its melting the plastic too.

Its in the bath with hot water and fairy liquid at the moment so we'll see... :shrug:

You could try tuffanega ( with grit) that might so it but it will stink your house out!