discovery disaster..........

nixy

As some of you know my parents live in the south of France. Dad has a really old landrover discovery that he uses to tow his caravan. He wanted to get a newer one and as the second hand car market is practically none existent where they live he decided to come and buy one in England and drive it back. He bought a 2000 discovery with about 35k miles on it, really good condition. It was a trade advert but you know the type - not a garage, a farmer and his sons who sell cars as a bit of a sideline. Anyway, they are obviously not that very good at it because just as Dad was whizzing down the french autoroute near paris his back wheel fell off! He felt a strange feeling and slowed down to 50mph and then the wheel just came off. Over a grands worth of damage but lucky to be alive i reckon! He's not very happy though............... :dry:

Eek, that's no good. Poor chappy, that must have given him such a fright. Thankfully wasn't a nasty major.

We had a truck loose two wheels here on a very busy motorway, one of the tyres hit a bus went through the window and seriously injured a passenger, who's now had life support switched off. So please it wasn't something like that for your dad.

its suprisingly common expecially after getting new tires etc... it has happend to my parents cars twice (2 different cars) first time we recon as the wheels were old they litrally dethreaded the nuts by using the machine so the nuts went on but 10 miles away the wheel was on the verge of coming off. and second time as they were in a hurry (as you and they often are if you are on holiday when you get a flat) they must not have done them up tight enough.

So we always all check now..