MOT Day...

Anubis

Bit of a waffly 'story' but here goes... :p

I always fear these days, yet I'm not sure why...

I know the car is in tip top condition, infact a fair chunk of it is pretty much brand spanking new (tyres, wheels, exhaust system, etc) but I still get jittery about it. Knowing a qualified mechanic is checking every key component of my car looking for faults - and today was that day.

Sounds silly but I worry about it a fair amount...the usual questions go around in my head such as "are the brakes good enough", "what if they find a flaw in a tyre", etc and yet I know I'm standing right next to the thing and know there isn't anything mechanically wrong with it. Infact I get comments all the time like "its looks brand new". Why should I be worried? Well, because I am. :headhurt:

I drop her off, hand over the keys to the MOT garage and await the news (although my head still repeats the fantasy phone call "Hello...Mr Aitken, we've just done your MOT and we've spotted that..."). This means the wallet is about to take an impact even after hundreds of man hours of love and care. :thumbdown:

2.5 hours later at home and still no phone call...."what has happened...? what have they found? what are they even looking for? Are they going to 'con' me out of some hard earned cash I need?"

So...I turn up at the garage (still no phone call)- starting to really sweat a bit now. The car is parked outside all locked and so I enter the garage and see all mechanics working away on anything but exotic or sports car like. My bright blue zed is standing out like a sore thumb outside. I walk inside the office to get my news but no one is at the desk so I wait and notice three things...

A: There are some awesome tools I'd like in my own personal garage

B: There is a red MOT certificate on the desk behind the counter

C: There is a green MOT certificate on the desk behind the counter

Both certificates are too far away to read and I'm now worried. Again, not sure why I just am whilst thinking "what could they have possibly found wrong if the red one is mine?! How much will it cost to fix?!"

Waited for 10 mins, which seemed forever and finally a mechanic came over and asked for payment for the MOT. Standing there whilst I press my PIN number into the card thingy he is writing out my receipt and....

underneith is my GREEN MOT certificate. PHEW! Crazy and over-reacting I know, but god damn I hate random silly days like this as they can often go one of two ways. :dry:

Result = full tank of V-Power and a good old drive afterwards (although in the rain). :yahoo:

do you know how they did the brake test?

did they put it on the rolling brake test machine or did they take it for a drive?

I'm going to presume a drive. Odometer didn't change, so couldn't have been that longer drive and so long as I get it back as I left it I'm not too worried. Seeing a mechanic doing burnouts was often going through my head as well. :headhurt:

thats not the issue,

if they used the rollers it buggers the LSD.

a good garage will know that RWD means no no to the rollers, but my last mot the guys there tried to put it on the rollers.

i always stick around and watch them do it. told him to go do the driving test. idiot :doh:

thats not the issue,

a good garage will know that RWD means no no to the rollers, but my last mot the guys there tried to put it on the rollers.

i always stick around and watch them do it. told him to go do the driving test. idiot :doh:

I'm confident no rollers were used - the garage was fairly small and no rollers were seen. :thumbs:

thats not the issue,

What is the LSD and why does it bugger it?