looking for a decent monitor for my HKS camp 2

P15UL T

At present my hks camp 2 is hooked up to a 7" monitor in my cubby and shows the engine speed, revs ect, i have found this monitor to have a really bad refresh rate and is alway behind real time

whilst installing my supercharger i will be using the HKS camp2 along with various additional sensors to monitor all things related to the supercharger install like boost, fuel pressue rad temp ect so i need a decent montor with a clear picture and a fast refresh rate that will keep everything easy to use

i am in 2 minds wether to keep the original cubby size or maybe opt for a larger screen maybe 10" and do a bit of custom work to the dash

anyway i have no idea of monitors ect so i though i would throw it out there for you guys to shed some light

thanks as always

PAul

Kenwood LZ-702 in mine and its pretty clear, unfortunalty as it just uses the yellow video input your never gonna get ultra high quality but refresh is pretty spot on...

Works well with the KOS v500 unit for a nice tidy video install with other inputs and outputs....

Paul, when you say refresh is slow, how can you tell its the monitor itself? What monitor are you using? Most modern monitors will have a refresh far greater than the Camp2 can push out.

Is the Camp2 using the Nissan CONSULT cable or just the standard OBDII one? The reason I ask is that if its just using ODB, the amount of times it can poll the ECU a second is quite low. This will mean the readouts (if you have lots of them on screen at once) will be relatively slow. I found that with my CarPC and having lots of readouts on my digi dash software. Cutting down the number of items means it can poll the ones you have left a lot quicker. If you get the CONSULT cable for the Camp2 (if you dont already have it), this hooks it up to the CAN BUS which is a lot fast (think of it like broadband vs dial up) and things will be a lot smoother. Also using proper sensors to replace the OBD ones will mean you get quicker refreshes too.

Paul, when you say refresh is slow, how can you tell its the monitor itself? What monitor are you using? Most modern monitors will have a refresh far greater than the Camp2 can push out.

Is the Camp2 using the Nissan CONSULT cable or just the standard OBDII one? The reason I ask is that if its just using ODB, the amount of times it can poll the ECU a second is quite low. This will mean the readouts (if you have lots of them on screen at once) will be relatively slow. I found that with my CarPC and having lots of readouts on my digi dash software. Cutting down the number of items means it can poll the ones you have left a lot quicker. If you get the CONSULT cable for the Camp2 (if you dont already have it), this hooks it up to the CAN BUS which is a lot fast (think of it like broadband vs dial up) and things will be a lot smoother. Also using proper sensors to replace the OBD ones will mean you get quicker refreshes too.

It uses the OBD... Dont think there is a consult plug in the kit.. also where is the consult port?

It uses the OBD... Dont think there is a consult plug in the kit.. also where is the consult port?

I read on my350z that you can get a CONSULT cable which plugs into the OBD port (they use the same connector just different pins, same as Audi with their CAN BUS). But it appears this is only for older Nissan models according to HKS website, not applicable to 350z's, so wouldnt worry.

Back to the lag issue, I would expect that the response lag is down to the fact that (a) OBD is slow anyway and (B) depending on the amount of readings on screen, the more you have the more it will slow down. Monitor refresh rates arent really applicable these days as LCDs dont redraw a picture as old CRTs used to, they are more dependant on their response times, but they will be quicker than the refresh of the camp2 especially as the output from that is over compsite which most likely being PAL is only 25fps which wont trouble a decent screen in the slightest.

Heres some info I found from a chap at Magden who make another product that appears to be quite simiar:

+ Speed (long, and a bit philosophical)

If you have a look at this

video at 1:08, you will see that the update speed of the CAMP2 on a Nissan 350Z is very slow. This is not due to the CAMP2 itself, but rather because of the OBD-II protocol used by the Z. There are several variants of the OBD-II protocol, and the ISO-9141/KWP-2000 version is almost always too slow to be useful for serious tuning.

Please note that the 2007/8 models of Subaru, Mitsubishi and others use the fast CAN version of OBD-II, with data channels being sampled at 20hz. So no need to worry.

While CAMP2 seems to accept this slow data rate (5Hz in the 350Z case), and have slow vehicles on their approved application list, we keep those cars off our list until we have implemented the OEM specific high-speed protocol that is almost always available in the OBD-II connector.

thanks for the info guys, i did just assume it was the screen as its just a cheap Veba item

i simply want all the info as quick as i can get it, if thats what the HKS puts out then thats fine with me, although i will probably get a better screen for better clarity as i can dislpy the HKS on the kenwood double din i have also and the clarity on that is much better although if im honest i didnt notice if the refresh was any better on the kenwood, but as chris says it is most likley down to the reading of the OBD port

I will look into decent alpine monitors :thumbs:

3fiddy - do you have any additional sensors attached to your HKS camp2 ? if so how do you find them ?

Paul :teeth:

thanks for the info guys, i did just assume it was the screen as its just a cheap Veba item

i simply want all the info as quick as i can get it, if thats what the HKS puts out then thats fine with me, although i will probably get a better screen for better clarity as i can dislpy the HKS on the kenwood double din i have also and the clarity on that is much better although if im honest i didnt notice if the refresh was any better on the kenwood, but as chris says it is most likley down to the reading of the OBD port

I will look into decent alpine monitors :thumbs:

3fiddy - do you have any additional sensors attached to your HKS camp2 ? if so how do you find them ?

Paul :teeth:

When you say slow.... Do you mean mega slow on the readings coming up or do you mean there is a delay of say a 20th of a second... Mine seems to be more like the latter, just a very slight delay but when your using it for revs the first rev is delayed but then its fine.

Runnining it through the KOS makes it almost dedicated (even though its got loads more inputs).. The clarity is better than when I was running it through the DNX unit too...

On the sensors Paul.... No not yet :ninja: but I will in the next few weeks... was gonna fit some oil pressure and temp ones when I fitted the nismo oil cooler the other week but didnt get round to ordering.. will need the AFR one too... ;)

yeah its more of a delay i suppose

i have ordered the additional sensor adapter along with a couple of pressure sensors, a boost sensor and a temp sensor :evil:

can you get an air fuel ratio one ?? how have i missed that ????

where did you get your nismo oil cooler from and for how much ???

yeah its more of a delay i suppose

i have ordered the additional sensor adapter along with a couple of pressure sensors, a boost sensor and a temp sensor :evil:

can you get an air fuel ratio one ?? how have i missed that ????

where did you get your nismo oil cooler from and for how much ???

Used one off a Zed! Nice bit of kit ;)

Will be nice to have all of the options giving a reading with the pressure sensors then :)

yeh there is an AFR bit, but you need one of the fcons for it too work. but there is also another bit of HKS kit that looks pretty cool that does AFR!! http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=3473

lucky bugger on the nismo cooler B)

tis a shame the camp2 dosnt do the AFR or that would be it all tied up in one neat package :dry:

i think $900bucks its a tad much for that piece of kit , it does look shweet though

Just though i woul dpost a couple of pics of the HKS camp 2 showing on my current monitors

im wondering if 3fiddyz can read the "warning" writing that is on each dial with the screen he is using

first one is on the cheaper Veba 7" screen

100_5451.jpg

second, my kenwood double din headunit again 7" screen , slightly clearer, less pixelated

100_5449.jpg