Intermittent Speedo

SunGodRA

My speedo seems to be playing up - one minute it works, the next it doesnt - doesnt seem to matter if the car is cold or warmed up etc - seems random. When its not working, the mph on the cluster also shows zero. I suppose the upside is that I'm not putting any extra mileage on the car ;) but it needs sorting.

Any ideas?

David

Any fuses loose? Give them all a good push in down in the footwell.

IIRC the speedo is on the fuse directly below the fuse puller. When you put your indicators on (when its at fault), do you get the noise they make or has that gone too?

I couldnt lock my car recently and ended up pulling every fuse out and checking, and pushing back in. Tried it again after that and it was fine :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

I thought I would bump this as I am still having a problem!

I have noticed the speedo always works from a cold start, then after 10 mins just dies. Today I was in traffic and at a stand-still, and the speedo shot up to 100mph then went back to zero again (in 1 second!), and stayed there after accelerating away.

Any ideas?

I have noticed the speedo always works from a cold start, then after 10 mins just dies. Today I was in traffic and at a stand-still, and the speedo shot up to 100mph then went back to zero again (in 1 second!), and stayed there after accelerating away.

Any ideas?

duff sensor?

Any ideas?

duff sensor?

where is the sensor and how could I check?

loose connection somewhere maybe.

No sh*t Sherlock! :lol::lol::lol:

Its obviously an electrical fault, but where do I look?

well my thinking is, if its a duff sensor, it just won't read right all the time.

if it works for a while then not, my guess is something sin't connected right.

my advice get the service manual out and track back the speedo wiring. i'd start in the fuse box first just to make sure it isn't a loose fuse.

simplest answer is usually the best.

Check the AC control unit mate... its the white box behind the AC controls (you have to remove a bit of dash to get to it... dead simple).

The VSS wire (Vehicle speed sense) passes through here, in the central of the 3 connector blocks.

I currently have this whole box unplugged from my car as i removed my head up display, and i drove without it yesterday and i have no speedo (or any other gauges)... could be that?

Having said that, there's not much to check, and i cant see the cables coming loose, so i dont know :shrug:

Check the AC control unit mate... its the white box behind the AC controls (you have to remove a bit of dash to get to it... dead simple).

The VSS wire (Vehicle speed sense) passes through here, in the central of the 3 connector blocks.

I currently have this whole box unplugged from my car as i removed my head up display, and i drove without it yesterday and i have no speedo (or any other gauges)... could be that?

Having said that, there's not much to check, and i cant see the cables coming loose, so i dont know :shrug:

Other gauges work - but strangely enough DTE still appears to work - surely DTE relies on mileage done/estimated, and if speedo isn't working then mileage isn't either (apparently I have done 15 miles on my last tank of fuel!)

my assumption has always been that this is the BCM, and there is a possibility that it relays messaged via CAN for modules such as the RCM (restraints control module) and others that are safty related. i wouldnt be convinced driving round without it is entirely safe...

my assumption has always been that this is the BCM, and there is a possibility that it relays messaged via CAN for modules such as the RCM (restraints control module) and others that are safty related. i wouldnt be convinced driving round without it is entirely safe...

:blink: is it just me, or was that all said in another language! Totally above my head! :bangin: - BCM, CAN, RCM :bang::shrug:

I am even more foncused now :scare:

:blink: is it just me, or was that all said in another language! Totally above my head! :bangin: - BCM, CAN, RCM :bang::shrug:

I am even more foncused now :scare:

sorry :blush: lee just corrected me that the BCM is integrated with the footwell fuse box so its not going to be that bad. if its just the module for the AC or such like

BCM, body control module, looks after alot of the main systems in the car

RCM, restraints control module, decides what course of action to take relating to safety restraints, pre tensioners and so on.

CAN, controller area network, basically the method for passing data around the car communicating between modules.

:)

BCM is body control module... mucho $$$ if it goes wrong. Who was it that had a fault with one of those was it Chris'I?

I doubt its that though as have only ever heard of 2 instances of failure...

I'll hopefully be in the zed at some point tomorrow, so i'll let you know if my pod speedo works with the AC Unit disconnected.

Thanks for clarifying Mr Dog - I am old school, when cars had carburettor's etc ;):lol::lol:

:thumbs: i wish it were like that now, i bet it'd be more fun designing and testing bits :yawn::yawn::yawn:

My first proper car was a Capri 3Ltr S - there was nothing I couldn't do to that - I stripped down the carb, replaced head gasket, changed water and fuel pumps etc etc - I don't have a clue on modern day cars :surrender::help: