Crazy Dash Lights

nurrish

Turned my car to ign switch for the first time in 2 months just to see if my fuel pump kicked in (which it did thank god) and noticed my dash doing some funky stuff......could if be because my car has been unused for a couple of months and the battery is on its way out? i'm fairy certain its the battery but any other ideas would be welcome ....Btw battery is still an original

Here is the video (excuse the sniffles)

th_MOV00513.jpg

get your multimeter out and check the current across the terminals.

do it with engine off and with engine running. trying to remember the correct numbers, but if the battery is draining you should be able to see the numbers drop.

i think it should be charging at about 14 volts or it could be amps :blush: like i said can't remember

get your multimeter out and check the current across the terminals.

do it with engine off and with engine running. trying to remember the correct numbers, but if the battery is draining you should be able to see the numbers drop.

i think it should be charging at about 14 volts or it could be amps :blush: like i said can't remember

14 Volts when charging, probably about 12-12.5 static.

its lucky i don't teach electronics.... oh....wait... i do :blush::blush::blush::blush:

lol

i'm one of those people that has to have the multimeter in hand. i know what i'm looking for, but sometimes have to twiddle the knobs a few times to find it. hence the forgotten and uncertain answers.

i generally only play around with 9v supplies and designing PCB layouts and testing circuits.

your better off with a trickle charger, and they are around the same money.

it will turn its self on and off as and when the battery needs topping up. i used one on my old mr2 roadster, left overnight worked a dream.

left for long periods was an absolute godsend.

So my car has been on charge for nearly 20 hours and it says its still charging.........is this right? or is my battery ducked?

That is fine and normal. I have one on mine and it keeps the battery cycled between 13 and 13.5 volts. Green led when charging and red led when draining. :)